Calling all knights and fair maidens to come joust in Kilkenny for Ireland’s first Medieval Week! Kilkenny will be rolling back the centuries to celebrate its unique and rich history when it hosts Ireland’s first Medieval Week from March 28th – April 6th.
Visitors are invited to step back in time and join in epic events during Kilkenny Medieval Week, including tales of knights and witches, sword making workshops, medieval craft making, historic tours and delicious medieval banquets.
The Medieval Week, being coordinated by Kilkenny Tourism, is the first of its type in Ireland. It coincides with the development of Ireland’s Medieval Mile, stretching from Kilkenny Castle to St. Canice’s Cathedral.
According to chairman of Kilkenny Tourism, Colin Ahern: “Kilkenny has so much to offer especially its rich history and we are very excited about this great new event on the Kilkenny calendar! We want our visitors to enjoy the full on experience that our restaurants, hotels and medieval attractions have to offer. We are encouraging all merchants to get involved, dress up or renact medieval times.”
- An open day in historic Rothe House & Garden on Saturday April 5th to include a”Swords & Shields” workshop where children can make and paint their own weapons!
- Children and adults can also try their hand at archery in partnership with Kilkenny Airsoft.
- A guided heritage tour of Jerpoint Park, a 12th Century medieval site believed to be the final burial place of St. Nicholas.
- Medieval story at Kyteler’s Inn from Dame Alice Kyteler herself!
- A heritage talk and tour at Highbank Orchards, home of a new Medieval Cider brand.
- A “blow a glass bubble” workshop in Jerpoint Glass reflecting how significant craft was in the middle ages when mass production did not exist with glass blowers in traditional dress.
- Nore Valley Park will remind visitors of the workings of a Medieval farm, with milling, medieval bread making and a black smith chain mail making demo.
- Tynan Tours will be running a Medieval Walking Tour and a Medieval Treasure Hunt!
- Oscar-nominated animation company Cartoon Saloon will be judging a Medieval Art competition for primary school students
Medieval Week events will take place within the city walls of Kilkenny and throughout medieval parts of the county. Hotels and accommodation providers will be announcing special Medieval Week offers in the next few weeks. These offers can be found at www.visitkilkenny.ie
Medieval week starts on Friday March 28th and runs until Sunday 6th April. For more information please visit www.visitkilkenny.ie