Is there anything more seasonal, than mince pies and mulled wine? And they taste all the better when homemade! Here are some recipes for Mince Pies & Mulled Wine.
Mince Pies :
Mince Meat Ingredients :
- 1 ½ lbs cooking apples, peeled and diced
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 5 ½ oz/175g sultanas
- 5 ½ oz/175g currants
- 1 tblsp brandy
Mince Meat Method :
- Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways, scrape out the seeds and put them into a saucepan with the apple and sugar. Chop the rest of the pod into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Add in your mixed spice and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Now add in the dried fruit and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the brandy and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- This mince will keep for weeks in a jar in the fridge.
Short-Crust Pastry Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 150g/5oz butter, cold and diced
- 1oz caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks, broken up
Short-Crust Pastry Method
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, using your fingers work the cold butter into the flour to resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Don’t over work it, the less handling the better the pastry. Add in the sugar and combine.
- Gradually add in a little egg yolk and bring the mixture together, if you run out of yolk you may add a little cold water to the bowl but be careful, you only want the liquid to enable you to bind the mixture. Once you bring it together, wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Mince Pie Method :
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Take your pastry out of the fridge and turn onto a floured surface.
- Roll out and using your cutters make the shapes for your little pies, place in your tin and spoon some of the mince mixture into the centre.
- You can either place another round of pastry on top or a smaller cut out shape. You may brush the top with a little beaten egg to glaze it or not, it’s up to you.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
Ingredients (Serves 6) :
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 pint fresh orange juice
- 2 oz caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 12 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Heat gently, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
Related : More festive food ideas in 15 Easy Christmas Recipes
Have you made this recipe ? Do you have ideas for other similar recipes ? Add to comments below
Did you like this article? Sign up for our free newsletter (be sure to tick Food!) and join us on facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram & Pinterest