Treasure hunts are a great, fun and easy way to keep kids entertained. And can be played inside or out! Here are ideas on how to stage a treasure hunt for kids.
- Treasure, of course!! (a treat, coins, small gift, sweets)
- Pens, pencils or markers
Setting up the Treasure Hunt
- You can set up a treasure hunt in a house, a back garden, or in a public park. You just need to do a little planning
- What’s going to be the treasure? It could be a small gift, a yummy treat, coins – just make sure you have as many prizes as you have kids, or a big enough prize for them to share!!
- Decide where to hide the treasure.
- Next up the clues. Choose 5 – 8 places to hide the clues. Each clue directing them to the next clue. (with the final one sending them to the hidden treasure!)
- Now you know where you are going to hide the clues you can write simple clues or you can either draw a it, cut out a picture from a magizine, print the image from the computer or take a picture of where the next clue is hidden. Eg. if the next clue is in the fridge, you might give them a image of a milk carton)
If you write the clues, you may need to read them out loud, depending on the age of the chidren playing.
- Hide the treasure. Hide the clues. Now lets get going!
Getting Your Treasure Hunt Started!
- Tell your kids that their “mission” is to find the hidden treasure by following a series of clues
- Give the children the first clue. Explain that they must share the treasure and they must work together to find it.
- If they get stuck, ask them if they need a hint.
Related : Fun Treasure Hunt for Kids
Have you had fun with a Treasure Hunt at home with the kids? Tell us about it in the comments below.