Looking for some fun things to do around Limerick and the South West with the family? Read on – there’s some great things to do in Limerick and the South West with kids this month.
Things to Do in Limerick and the South West with Kids in April
Shannon Heritage are hosting fun Easter Events at all their sites. On April 5th from 1pm to 5pm come along and join the Easter Bunny at Craggaunowen. There will be hundreds of Easter Eggs, Bouncy Castles, Music, a Puppet Show and much more.
At Bunratty Castle and Folk Park on April 6th from 1pm to 5pm including train rides with the Easter Bunny, Easter Bonnet Competition, Easter Disco, Easter Clue Trail, Face-painting and much more.
King John’s Castle are running fun Family Easter Workshops on various dates from March31st to April 9th. €10 per child to include lunch and €5 per adult. Booking necessary. Call 061 360788 for further information.
Stay busy this Easter at glór Ennis by taking part in a Cartoon and Comic Strip Workshop with Aidan Courtney. The Cartoon Workshops take place on April 7th and 8th and are suitable for children aged 5 to 10 years and The Comic Strip Workshops are for children aged 10+ and also run on April 7th and 8th.
For younger children Fidget Feet presents The Elves & The Shoemaker on April 9th and 10th at glór Ennis. Suitable for children aged 4 to 8 years, be mesmerised by music, storytelling and aerial circus.
glór Arts Centre have also have a Brick Flicks Workshop running on March 30th & 31st book your places now.
The Source Arts Centre will run a Brick Flicks Stop Motion Workshop on April 1st and 2nd Book Now
The Hunt Museum are running a 4 day Easter Camp from March 30th to April 2nd. The camp runs daily from 10am to 4pm and is suitable for children aged 5 to 12 years. Included in the camp activities will be the creation of a digital Easter Egg Hunt that will take place from April 5th to April 7th. Find out more! The popular drop in Art Project for parents and children is on Saturday April 5th from 12pm to 1pm and on Sunday April 6th join in the Kids Art and Craft Session from 2.30pm to 4pm.
FitKids4Ever are running active Easter Camps in Castleconnell and Bird Hill from March 30th to April 2nd. Find out more.
Tír na nÓg Children’s Festival takes place in Tralee, Co Kerry this Easter with a full programme of indoor and outdoor activities are planned at various locations with – Easter Egg Hunts, Duck Races, Puppet Shows, Family Night at the Dogs, Arts and Craft Workshops, Teddy Bears & Dollies Picnics, Bonnie Baby Competition, Animal Farms and Bug Hunts!
Tralee Bay Easter Eco Art and Craft Camp
Running from Tuesday 31st March – Thursday 2nd April and Tuesday 7th April – Thursday 9th April- from 10am – 2pm Suitable for chlidren aged 5 to 12 years. Cost: €55 for three days and €20 for one day. Contact the Tralee Bay Wetlands on 066 7126700.
Toymaster in Bridge Street have a Free Children’s Puppet Show on Saturday April 4th from 11am to 1pm.
On Saturday April 4th from 1pm to 3pm the under 12’s Meadowlands Tralee Fancy Dress Fun Run is taking place in Tralee Town Park. Face painting, dancing with Linda Flanagan from Zumba Salsa Tralee and an outdoor disco with an appearances from some of our favorite Disney characters. Registration forms can be handed in to Tralee Chamber Alliance or The Meadowlands Hotel Tralee. Cost: €5 per child.
Post Easter Events
The Limerick Film Festival takes place from April 23rd to 25th.
Féile na Bealtaine takes place in Dingle from April 30th to May 4th. With over 100 activities for visitors of all ages, this festival celebrates the arrival of summer.
New listings are added daily so visit the website for a full list of What’s On in your area.
Things to Do in Limerick and the South West with Kids in March
If you are looking for a fun activity to do with the kids on Saturday mornings head over to the Hunt Museum for Drop in Arts and Crafts from 12pm to 1pm. It costs just €2 for 1 craft and €3 for both and children aged 2+ are welcome with their parents.
Take a trip to King John’s Castle this month and be amazed by over 800 years of history
Bunratty Castle and Folk Park are finalising their plans for Easter be sure to check out the website for a full list of family friendly events
The Easter Bunny will be back at Craggaunowen this year giving out hundreds of Easter Eggs. Find out more here
Dingle International Film Festival takes place from March 12th to 15th. As part of the festival Animation Dingle celebrates the best national and international animation.
Kenmare Lace Festival 2015 runs from March 19th to 22nd with lacemaking and millenary workshops, fashions shows, lace displays and more.
St Patrick’s Day Celebrations
Limerick Hosts a Festival of Kindness Festival from March 13th to 17th. With a Free Family Fun Day on Bedford Row from 11am to 3pm on March 15th a Free Day of Walking on Water at UL with free kayaking and a universal access excursion for wheelchair users and those who are visually impaired and on March 16th local scouts groups will carry out acts of kindness throughout the day.
Limerick has a St Patrick’s Festival which begins on March 15th with the 45th International Band Championships. The St Patrick’s Day Parade is on March 17th at 12pm
The Limerick Milk Market has a family friendly St Patrick’s Day Festival on March 17th from 3pm to 7pm.
Limerick Racecourse hosts a St Patrick’s Day 2 day Festival of Racing on March 14th & 15th
St Patrick’s Day starts early in Dingle with a 6am alarm call from Dingle’s Fife and Drum band. The 2015 Dingle St Patrick’s Day Parade takes place at 1pm and starts at Dingle hospital.
The 2015 Tralee St Partick’s Day Parade is on March 17th and begins at 12pm. The theme for this year’s parade is Active Tralee and the Kerry Rose Mary Hickey, will the the Grand Marshal for this year’s parade
Sneem will host it’s annual St Patrick’s Day Parade and Market on March 17th 2015. This year turn out in your green clothes to help in the Turn Sneem Green Campaign!
The Ennis St Patrick’s Day Parade will be held on March 17th and begins at 11am
The 2015 Ballina/Killaloe St Patricks Day Parde on 17th leaving Ballina Riverside Park at 2.30pm for further details check out Féile Brian Ború
The 2015 Thurles St Patrick’s Day Parade is on March 15th and begins at 3pm
The 2015 Tipperary St Patrick’s Day Parade is on March 17th 2015
Clonmel and Nenagh will both have St Patrick’s Day Parades on March 17th.
Things to Do in Limerick and the South West with Kids in February
- The Hunt Museum in Limerick have their Kids’ Art Club running on February 1st and the next Saturday Art & Crafts Drop In event is on February 7th. I Love The Hunt in association with Limerick Printmakers Studio & Gallery is running Fab Lab with crafts, tours music and more on February 14th.
Join instrument builder Ed Devane in this hands-on music workshop on February 22nd. Participants will learn about sound and musical instrument design, giving them a richer understanding of music while enhancing their craft skills, and make loads of noise in the process! suitable for Ages: 8 – 13. Drop in any time over the mid-term and you can Hunt for Treasure and Animals!
- Engineers Week takes place from February 8th to 14th and there are family friendly events taking place across the South West.
- Make Your Own Puppet Workshop is at the Lime Tree Limerick on February 7th.
- At Glor, Ennis on 18th Feb, the American Wrestling Roadshow comes to town.
- Brick Flicks Stop Motion Workshop by Creatschool takes place on February 19th at The Source. Suitable for children aged 8+.
Things To Do in Limerick and the South West with Kids in January
- The Hunt Museum in Limerick have free fun activity sheets for families and run regular family art sessions. The next one is on February 1st.
- Get your skates on at Killarney On Ice – open until January 11th.
- The Lime Tree Theatre Limerick are embracing music this January with family shows on January 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st.
- On January 17th Bunratty Castle & Folk Park are having their annual Winter Music Day.
- Take a visit to King John’s Castle where 800 years of history comes to life.
- Enjoy the Shannonside Winter Music Weekend which takes place in Sixmilebridge and Bunratty on January 15th & 16th.
- glór Clare have January classes for kids and toddlers in Music, Art and French
- The Source Arts Centre in Thurles have art classes for children aged 3-7 years and their parents/guardians starting January 9th for 6 weeks and the Lambert Puppet Theatre presents Snow White with Bosco on February 1st.
- Operation Transformation are running walks around the country on January 17th. Find one near you and get the whole family off the sofa and out in the fresh air!
- If you didn’t make it to the cinema over the Christmas, there are some great family films showing this month at Omniplex Tralee, Classic Cinema Listowel, Phoenix Cinema Dingle. Omniplex Limerick, Odeon Limerick, Tippeary Excel, IMC Thurles, Empire Moveieplex Ennis, We saw Paddington (read our review) and Annie recently both great and for older children the final Hobbit movie was a big hit.