Are you looking for something fun to do with the kids this Summer? Check out where to enjoy outdoor theatre and cinema with the family in Ireland this Summer. Pack the picnic rugs, snacks and drinks and enjoy a unique experience together.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
It’s a lovely experience heading out in summer time for some outdoor entertainment. Seeing a play, concert or outdoor movie with the kids can be a real treat.
And if you pack a picnic and blanket, and maybe even a pillow, beanbag, cushion or two if the kids want to lie down, you can make the most of the outing.
We always look out for what’s on around the summer to see if there are plays or movies or concerts that we can take our kids to. Even when they were smaller, we used to head out to an event, and they could run around nearby while we enjoyed the entertainment.
If your teen is studying particular texts for school, then seeing the play version can help bring it to life for them.
Outdoor Family Theatre and Cinema Events In Ireland
Mr Stink Outdoor Theatre
You are invited to celebrate Annabelle’s 10th birthday, hosted by Janet Crumb! Pack a picnic and chair and enjoy this outdoor show by Heartbreak Productions suitable for kids aged 7+
Dates and Locations for Mr Stink
- Theatre Royal, Waterford Wednesday May 6th & Thursday May 7th from 11am & 6pm daily
- Fota House Gardens, Cork, Saturday May 9th from 4.30pm
- Pavilion Theatre, Dublin, Sunday May 10th from 4pm
- Watergate Theatre, Kilkenny, Tuesday May 12th & Wednesday May 13th from 11.30am & 6pm
- Roscommon Arts Centre, Roscommon, Friday July 3rd from 5pm
- Nenagh Castle, Tipperary, Saturday July 4th from 5.30pm
- Westport House & Gardens, Mayo, Sunday July 5th from 6.30pm
- Hilton Park, Clones, Monaghan, Saturday July 11th from 5pm
- Bangor Castle Walled Garden, Wednesday July 15th & Thursday July 16th from 2pm, 6.30pm on 15th & from 2pm on 16th
- Municipal Hall Bowling Green, Kinsale, Cork, Sunday July 19ht from 3.30pm
Wonder With Grimm Outdoor Theatre
Pack a picnic basket and come along to this outdoor theatre event from Heartbreak Productions to hear the fairytales of the Brothers Grimm….with a modern twist! A family friendly show best suited to ages 7+.
Dates and Locations for Wonder With Grimm
- Westport House, Mayo, Saturday July 11th from 7pm
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
A Midsummer Night’s Dream is Shakespeare’s best-loved romantic comedy. Let yourself be whisked away on a thrilling journey to the most magical of forests and meet star-crossed lovers, playful fairies and hilarious travelling players. Chapterhouse Theatre Company presents beautifully designed Elizabethan costumes, a wonderful musical score, and enchanting woodland creatures come together to make this an evening of unmissable summer garden theatre.
Dates and Locations for A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- The Grounds of All Saints Church, Raheny, Dublin, Sunday 21st June from 3pm
- Battle of the Boyne Estate, Meath, Saturday 27th June from 5.30pm
You might also enjoy reading Our Pick of Whats On and Things To Do This Month
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Bring along a picnic and join Chapterhouse to take a trip down the rabbit hole! This interactive show with original music, dance and costumes is sure to delight audiences of all ages.
Dates and Locations for Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Ballykeeffe Amphitheatre, Kilkenny, Friday 19th June from 7pm
- The Round Tower Clondalkin, Dublin, Saturday 20th June from 4pm
- Fota House & Gardens, Cork Friday 26th June from 5.30pm call 021 4815543 for bookings
You might also enjoy reading Events for Kids Around Ireland Bringing Books to Life
Pack a picnic and enjoy an evening with Emma who finds herself stuck in the middle of a tangled web! Chapterhouse Theatre Company presents this open air stage production of Laura Turner’s adaptation of Jane Austen’s Emma.
Dates and Locations for Emma
- The Gardens at Rathmullan House, Donegal, Wednesday 22nd July, from 2pm
- The Round Tower Clondalkin, Dublin, Sunday 26th July from 5pm
- Cabra Castle, Cavan, Tuesday 28th July from 6pm
- Kilmokea Gardens, Wexford, Sunday 2nd August from 5pm
You might also enjoy reading Amazing Free Family Friendly Festivals in Ireland
A wonderful Outdoor Theatre event for all the family performed by the Chapterhouse Theatre Company. The telling of Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre.
Dates and Locations for Jane Eyre
- Castle Bellingham, Louth, Tuesday 7th July from 6pm
- Wells House & Gardens, Wexford, Saturday 11th July from 6pm
- Curraghmore House, Waterford, Sunday 12th July from 4pm
You might also enjoy reading Fun Family Events By The Water To Enjoy This Summer
Join Chapterhouse Theatre Company under the stars and step into the lives of Jo, Beth, Meg and Amy, the March sisters, during the Civil War era in America. See how their lives unfold in this adaption of Louisa May Alcott’s book, Little Women
Dates and Locations for Little Women
- Battle of the Boyne Estate, Meath, Saturday 25th July from 5.30pm
- Fota House & Gardens, Cork, Friday 31st July from 5.30pm
Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of The Baskervilles
Somewhere out on the wild Devon moors, evil is afoot and is stalking the wealthy Baskerville family. Sherlock Holmes arrives to investigate, but will he get to the bottom of the mystery? Find out when you join Chapterhouse Theatre Company for this adaptions of the novel by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Dates and Locations for Hounds of the Baskervilles
- The Gardens at Rathmullen House, Donegal, Wednesday 15th July from 2pm
- Powerscourt Estate & Gardens, Wicklow, Sunday 19th July from 1.30pm Call 01 2046000 for bookings
You might also enjoy reading 101 Best Ideas For Your Family Vacation In Ireland
Outdoor Family Cinema Events In Ireland
Retro Drive-In Movies Feel Good Movie Weekend, Lepoardstown Racecourse, Dublin
Dates & Times: Saturday 25th April 2020, 6pm and 9pm
Roll up for a family movie with a difference, you can watch it from your car! Pack the goodies and get over to Leopardstown Racecourse to see feelgood movies; ‘Airplane!’ at 6pm and ‘Rocketman’ at 9pm.
How to Book: Book tickets online
Retro Drive In Movies at Ballybrit Racecourse, Galway
Dates & Times: Saturday 21st March, 6pm & 9pm
Pack the kids and the picnic and watch the movies from the comfort of your own car! 1st up ‘A Star is Born’ at 6pm at Ballybrit raceourse and then at 9pm you can enjoy ‘Joker’.
How to Book: Book your tickets online in advance.
Pop Up Movie Club: Peppa Pig, The Lion King & Mamma Mia at Fota House, Cork
Date & Times: Sunday May 3rd, 12pm (Peppa Pig), 3pm (The Lion King), 6.30pm (Mamma Mia). Times indicated are when the gates open, film begins 45 minutes after this time.
Enjoy a unique outdoor movie experience in the gardens at Fota House. Bring blankets, bean bags, deckchairs and a picnic and enjoy your favourite film. Popcorn and treats available too.
How To Book: Select the movie you wish to see and book online.
You might also enjoy reading Our Pick Of The Best Hotels With Activities For Families In Ireland
Over to you now. Are you planning to attend any of these outdoor theatre or cinema events with the kids this Summer? Or maybe you know of another outdoor family event taking place? Please let us know in the comments box below.