If you’re looking to add more vegetarian ideas to your family dinner rota, then try these quick and easy Chard Tacos adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers.
PS Did we mention it’s free?
For a heartier meal, you can add diced smoked firm tofu during the final minutes of cooking. Sliced avocado and fresh coriander also make nice additions to the finished tacos.
- 400g Swiss chard, thick lower stems cut off, OR 300g spinach, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 large white or red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 100ml vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 warm corn tortillas (though flour ones will also work fine)
- 100g crumbled feta or goat’s cheese
- 175 ml salsa
You might also enjoy 11 of the Best Vegetarian Recipes for a Meatless Monday
- Cut the chard crosswise into 1/2-inch slices (small spinach leaves can be left whole).
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown but not entirely soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for a few seconds, then add the broth or water, salt and the greens.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook until the greens are almost tender, anywhere from 2 minutes for baby spinach to 5 minutes for Swiss chard.
- Uncover the pan, raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring continually, until the mixture is nearly dry.
- Taste and season with additional salt if you think it needs it.
- Serve with the warm tortillas, crumbled cheese and salsa.
You might also enjoy Super Quick Smoky BBQ Fajitas Recipe
You can find these recipes and more family favourites on www.dinnerdujour.org.
Over to you now. Did you try out these chard tacos? Tell us in the comments below.