On your holidays in Wexford and need some inspiration for things to do with the kids? We have put together 5 family outings in Wexford that will get you out of the hotel or house and enjoying some of what Wexford has to offer families.
#1. Wexford Town Outing
- Head into Wexford town and go to the Book Centre on Main Street (you could have a snack and a coffee at the cafe upstairs
- Next stop to the Art Centre Cornmarket and enjoy lunch at D'Lush (they do great pancakes). Take in the exhibition at the gallery.
- Head past Whites Hotel and take the next right at the end of the street then go left and continue till you come to Greenacres for more art to look at or browse the deli and wine shop.
- There is a great bike shop to the left on the corner of North Main Street.
- Just up the road on the right is a shop that sells books, toys, art and craft plus stationary upstairs, through their back door leads you to the library car park and the back entrance of Hughes and Hughes bookshop (via McCauleys chemist and O’Brien’s Sandwich Bar).
#2. Murrinstown & Drinagh
- Head out of Wexford Town to the Agricultural Museum, Johnstown Castle in Murrinstown.
- On the way back go to the Omniplex cinema at Drinagh near the Rosslare Roundabout.
- After the film go up the road to the LeisureMax where you can enjoy something to eat, go bowling, pamper the girls or get their nails done at Aishling Beauty Salon.
- Let all the kids go crazy in the indoor playground and go karts. You could always go have a beauty treat while the kids are busy having fun!
#3. Enniscorthy Day Out
- Go to Enniscorthy and visit the County Museum, first stop visit the National 1798 Rebellion Centre which has a dramatic audio visual display (only open Monday – Friday)
- You'll find several places to have coffee or lunch on Rafter Street. Enniscorthy has some good shops for pottering in, down by the river beside Supervalu there is a really good pet shop.
- Follow the promanade down past the hotel and you find a great playground.
- There is an excellent bakery on Church Street (just around the corner from Rafter St). If you have a chance explore the great health shop at the corner of Castle Hill and Castle Street; food, make up, products, health spa – serious green credentials.
- Take a drive out to Vinegar Hill.
- You could finish your trip off with a visit to the Slaney Cinema or dinner in Galo Enniscorthy’s Portuguese restaurant up the top of Main Street.
#4. New Ross Trip
- Head New Ross direction and board the Dunbrody Famine Ship on the Quay for a step back in time, drop into the newly opened Ros Tapestry down the road.
- Have lunch at the Nutshell on South Street (as you head up to South Street from the Dunbrody go left down South Street) or get a picnic from The Bake House fresh baked breads and deli goods.
- Drop into Calico Interiors on Mary Street for a real interesting mix of presents, stuff for the house and fun funky things, great value to.
- Then if you fancy go out to Duncannon Fort, Tintern Abbey, JFK Arboretum, The Hook Light House, Campile Gardens.
#5. Fun in Gorey
- Head to Courtown near Gorey and discover Pirates Cove, a great location for bowling, amusements, the fun cave (their indoor play area) and if it's not too wet you have to check out their excellent Pirate themed crazy golf also large scaled remote control trucks, jeep and floating pirate ships are fun!
- After the kids have had their fill of amusements head off to the Forest Park Swimming Pool and have fun splashing around or go to the playground in the carpark just before the pool.
- Then go up to Gorey and explore the shopping centre (baby changing facilities upstairs accessible by lift) off the avenue and enjoy a smoothie.
- Or go down the Main Street to Byrne's World of Wonder your kids will love there upstairs toy section accessible by a lift or books and arts and crafts on the ground floor.
- Grab something to eat in one of the child friendly eateries in Gorey. Walk up to the park to the playground and skatepark.
Do you have a favourite place to go with the kids in Wexford? Tell us about it in the comments below.