We have a total of 13 Bank Holidays/Public Holidays in Ireland in 2018. They are the perfect opportunity to spend time together with family and friends. We have researched some of the Best Fun Family Events for Bank Holidays in Ireland for 2018 so you can plan days out together.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
New Years – December 31st 2017 – January 1st 2018
Ringing in the New Year with family and friends is a long standing tradition.
- If you happen to be in Dublin over the New Year check out the NYF Dublin an annual 2 day festival that begins on December 31st and runs until Jan 1st with events and fun for all ages.
Mother’s Day – March 11th 2018
Mother’s Day is a day to get together with the family and celebrate your Mum, Granny, Mother in Law, Step Mum and yourself. For those wishing to have a break from cooking many hotels and restaurants offer Mother’s Day menus.
- Have a fun day out in Clare with a trip to see some public spinning at glór on March 10th or take a trip to see Sister Act performed by Ennis Musical Society
St Patricks Day – March 17th 2018
Ireland comes alive to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. Many counties, towns and villages host their own St Patrick’s Day Parade and for children, and adults on the lenten journey, if offers a break in their fasting! We have a round up of family friendly events taking place over the St Patrick’s Day Weekend including:
- The St Patrick’s Festival 2018 takes place over 5 days in Dublin from March 15th to 19th with citywide events for families the highlight of which is the annual St Patrick’s Day Parade which begins at 12pm.
- glór in Ennis will host their annual St Patrick’s Day event with fun music and activity for the whole family including face painting and traditional music, imagination playground and puppetry workshops.
Easter – March 30th to April 2nd 2018
Easter is a time for egg hunts and chocolate! We have put together a list of some of the best events taking place in Ireland over the Easter Break 2018. And if you are woking during the holidays, we have a list of Easter Camps for Kids & Teens.
Keep checking our events listings too, as new events are added daily.
May Bank Holiday – May 7th 2018
The May Bank Holiday is the start of the summer season.
This year head to Riverfest Limerick for a host for family fun over 4 days including land and water activities, food, fireworks, competitions and a Marathon! Events take place from May 4th to 7th 2018.
Other May Bank Holiday Events
- The Slieve Bloom Walking Festival, Co Offaly, is Ireland’s longest running walking festival and runs from May 5th to 7th 2018.
June Bank Holiday – June 4th 2018
The June Bank Holiday for many is the beginning of the summer holidays with secondary school students finishing up on the Friday before. We have put together a list of Summer Camps for Kids and Summer Camps for Teens showcasing some of the best on offer around the country.
- If you are a motorcycle enthusiast, Bikefest takes place in Killarney over the June Bank Holiday weekend from June 1st to 4th. Now in it’s 12th year it attracts national and international visitors who come to see bikes of all shapes and sizes, ride the twisting routes along the wild atlantic way and listen to some great free live music.
- Staying in Kerry, the K-Fest Arts Festival takes place from June 1st to 4th in Killorglin.
- In Dublin the Dublin Port River Fest offers an array of activities for families along the banks of the River Liffey from June 2nd to 4th.
- Bloom will take place in the Phoenix Park over the June Bank Holiday weekend from May 31st to June 4th 2018 with loads of gardening related activities for families. Best of all kids go free.
Father’s Day – June 17th 2018
Father’s Day is an opportunity to celebrate dads, grandfathers, step-dads and father-in-law’s. Hotels and restaurants will offer special Father’s Day menus or you could cook up a feast at home or head out to enjoy:
- The Taste of Dublin which runs annually in June.
- For those in Cork the Cork Midsummer Festival runs from June 15th to 24th 2018 and has a full program of events for families.
August Bank Holiday – August 6th 2018
If you can drag yourself off the beach there are some great family events happening over the August Bank Holiday weekend including:
- Take a step back in time at the Tubbercurry Old Fair Day Festival in Co. Sligo which takes place over 5 days from August 4th to 8th. You will experience crafts and techniques from days gone by along with food, music and fun for all the family.
- The Enniscorthy Rockin’ Food Festival in Co. Wexford combines music and food with free family fun and runs over the August Bank Holiday weekend from August 3rd to 6th.
- The annual Durrow Scarecrow Festival in Co. Laois, takes place from July 31st to August 6th and offers an eclectic mix of activities for young and old including the Scarecrow Building Contest with national and international participants competing for the top prize.
- Birr Vintage Week & Arts Festival runs from August 3rd – 10th 2018 with free entertainment for children including music, markets and fairs, arts and craft activities and more.
- The streets of Waterford play host to the Spraoi International Street Arts Festival from August 3rd to 5th 2018. With an amazing parade, free music events and street performances.
- Mayo Manchester Tradfest is an award-winning six day festival celebrating Irish music and dance, and features over 500 artists performing at over 100 events in six different hubs across Mayo from August 2nd to 8th 2018.
October Bank Holiday & Halloween – October 29th 2018
There are a host of events taking place around the country including:
- The Sligo Live 2018 Music Festival which runs in venues around Sligo from October 24th to 29th 2018.
- The 67th annual Wexford Opera Festival runs from October 19th to November 4th 2018 and offers music lovers the opportunity to experience some of the best opera performers from around the globe.
Christmas – December 25th, 26th & 27th 2018
Christmas is a time to spend with families. We will update our 50 Magical Places to Visit Santa post shortly to ensure you know the best places to visit Santa this Christmas 2018.