We have a total of 9 Bank Holidays/Public Holidays in Ireland in 2020. They are the perfect opportunity to spend time together with family and friends. We have researched some of the Best Fun Family Events for Bank Holidays in Ireland for 2020 so you can plan days out together.
PLEASE NOTE: IN A BID TO STOP THE SPREAD OF COVID 19/ CORONAVIRUS, MANY LARGE SCALE EVENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED AND VENUES HAVE CLOSED AROUND THE COUNTRY. SO PLEASE CHECK THE EVENT OR PLACE YOU WANT TO ATTEND IS TAKING PLACE/OPEN BEOFRE TRAVELLING
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Bank Holiday Dates For Ireland for 2020
- Wednesday January 1st 2020 – New Year’s Day
- Tuesday March 17th 2020 – St Patrick’s Day
- Monday April 13th 2020 – Easter Monday (please note good Friday, April 10th is often a day off but it is not a public holiday)
- Monday May 4th 2020 – May Day
- Monday June 1st 2020 – June Bank Holiday (Whit Weekend)
- Monday August 3rd – August Bank Holiday
- Monday October 26th 2020 – October Bank Holiday (Halloween)
- Friday December 25th 2020 – Christmas Day
- Saturday December 26th 2020 – St Stephen’s Day (Monday 28th may be a day off for many but it is not a public holiday)
Many people get a day off for a bank holiday in Ireland. The schools close and it is the perfect opportunity to spend time together as a family. Whether you want to go bowling, to a festival, take in a museum or a workshop we have a list of fun events taking place for bank holidays in Ireland in 2020.
Leisureplex, the fun family entertainment centres with bowling, quasar and more in Blanchardstown, Charlestown, Coolock, Tallaght and Stillorgan in Dublin and Leisureplex Cork, are open for family fun every bank holiday weekend. Check out what our family testers thought about Quasar at Leisureplex!
Best Fun Family Events for Bank Holidays In Ireland For 2020
PLEASE NOTE: IN A BID TO STOP THE SPREAD OF COVID 19/ CORONAVIRUS, MANY LARGE SCALE EVENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. SO PLEASE CHECK THE EVENT YOU WISH TO ATTEND IS TAKING PLACE BEFORE TRAVELLING
New Years – December 31st 2019 – January 1st 2020
Ringing in the New Year with family and friends is a long standing tradition.
Tuesday December 31st 2019 – NYF Dublin is back for 2019/2020. This special New Years Eve Festival sees the area around the Custom House come to life with music, lights and a New Year countdown.
St Patrick’s Day – March 17th 2020
Ireland comes alive to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. Many counties, towns and villages host their own St Patrick’s Day Parade and for children, and adults on the lenten journey, if offers a break in their fasting! We have a round up of family friendly events taking place over the St Patrick’s Day Weekend including:
- The St Patrick’s Festival 2020 takes place over 5 days in Dublin from March 13th to 17th with citywide events for families the highlight of which is the annual St Patrick’s Day Parade which begins at 12pm on March 17th. CANCELLED
- glór in Ennis will host their annual St Patrick’s Day event with fun music and activity for the whole family including the Joe Daly Children’s Magic & Illusion Show from 2pm. CANCELLED
- St Patricks Snake Hunt on March 14th & 17th head along to Nore Valley Park, Kilkenny to hunt for the snakes that managed to hide from St. Patrick! Free event as part of your entry ticket price.CANCELLED
- The National Museum of Ireland have 4 sites in Ireland, 3 in Dublin and 1 in Mayo and have FREE events for families in the lead up to St Patrick’s Day. CANCELLED
- This St. Patrick’s weekend be sure to take a trip to Fota House & Gardens in Cork for a bilingual self-guided family St. Patrick’s Trail / Slí Phádraig. CANCELLED
- Follow a trail of slithering snakes through the gardens, treehouse & playground at Birr Castle & Gardens 14th – 17th March 2020. CANCELLED
- The aunnual Mac Luí Westport Children’s Arts Festival takes place from March 11th to 17th 2020 CANCELLED
Mother’s Day – Sunday 22nd March 2020
Mother’s Day is not a bank or public holiday but a day to get together with the family and celebrate your Mum, Granny, Mother in Law, Step Mum and yourself.
For those wishing to have a break from cooking many hotels and restaurants offer Mother’s Day menus.
Easter – April 10th to 13th 2020
The Easter break for schools in Ireland this 2020 runs from Friday April 3rd with schools returning on Monday April 20th.
Easter is a time for egg hunts and chocolate! We have put together a list of some of the best events taking place in Ireland over the Easter Break 2020 including:
Easter Events at Birr Castle, Offaly
Easter is always fun at Birr Castle, Gardens & Science Centre. In the run up to Easter there is a Nature Detectives Easter Camp from April 6th to 9th, 10am to 2pm daily. This is suitable for children ages 7 to 12 years and must be booked in advance.
On Easter Sunday & Easter Monday, April 12th & 13th, you can enjoy an Easter Trail and Easter Egg Hunt with Henny Penny, Larry the Lamb, Quackers the Duck & The Mad Hatter! Pre-booking required. There will be complimentary face painting from 12pm to 3pm.
Easter Fun at Lough Key Forest & Activity Park, Roscommon
There will be heaps of Easter fun at Lough Key this year including crafts, an Easter Park Run, workshops, face painting, and Cecil the Lough Key Easter Bunny will be handing out Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday and Monday 12th & 13th April.
Easter at Strokestown Park House & Gardens, Roscommon
Celebrate Easter at Strokestown Park with their annual Easter Egg Hunts which are self guided mega or mini trails around the Victorian walled garden and woodland walk. Families will search through the clues in the nooks and crannies of the garden and woodlands to receive the chocolate egg treasure. Be sure to visit the Spring Lambs too. Trails and can be paid for on the day, no advance booking required.
Irish National Stud Easter Fun, Kildare
The Irish National Stud & Gardens have daily family activities running over the Easter weekend break. There will be Pony Rides, face painting, magic shows, craft workshops and more. Children can visit the playground, discover fairies & folklore on the Fairy Trail and come and see the new baby foals with a guided tour of the stud and gardens included in the ticket price.
Easter at Fota House – Dorothy’s Easter Trail, Cork
Fota House & Gardens are open for the season from mid March with Bakestone Café serving treats for the whole family. This Easter be sure to come along and enjoy Dorothy’s Easter Trail a self guided tour following in the footsteps of Dorothy Bell, former owner of Fota.
Trail runs Friday and Saturday of Easter weekend, from 10am to 4pm daily, walk-ins welcome!
Easter Steam Trains at Stradbally
Stradbally Woodland Railway are running steam trains for Easter on Easter Sunday and Monday. Trains will be operating from 12-4pm both days. Tickets are sold on the day at the platform and are valid for as many trips as you like. The train is fully wheelchair accessible so passengers can enjoy the lush, green forests from the unique perspective of a steam train.
And if you are working during the holidays, we have a list of Easter Camps for Kids & Teens.
Keep checking our events listings too, as new events are added daily.
May Bank Holiday – May 4th 2020
The May Bank Holiday is the start of the summer season. There are events taking place around Ireland for families to enjoy including:
- Riverfest 2020 which will be in Limerick again this year and takes place from May 1st to 4th 2020. POSTPONED
- The Slieve Bloom Walking Festival, Co Offaly, is Ireland’s longest running walking festival. It takes place in Spring just as the bluebells are coming out and are between 7k and 10k in length and suitable for all ages.
- Stradbally Woodland Railway, Ireland’s oldest established Heritage Railway will be doing steam railway rides for the May Bank Holiday on Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th May 2020.
June Bank Holiday – June 1st 2020
The June Bank Holiday for many is the beginning of the summer holidays with secondary school students finishing up on the Friday before. We have also put together a list of Summer Camps for Kids and Summer Camps for Teens showcasing some of the best on offer around the country.
- Bloom 2020, Ireland’s annual garden festival takes place at the Phoenix Park from May 28th to June 1st 2020. It is one of the top family friendly events in Ireland, with kids going free, and plenty of activities, food and garden fun for all ages.
- Stradbally Steam Train Rides take place at Stradbally in Co. Laois on Sunday 21st May and Monday 1st June. Enjoy a trip behind an authentic Steam Engine along the 1km line around the Woodland of Stradbally Hall.
- The annual Innishannon Steam & Vintage Rally, Cork takes place on Sunday 31st May and Monday 1st June 2020 at Innishannon Village, Cork. With over 1,000 exhibits they include Steam Engines, Cars, Tractors, Fire Engines and Vintage Farm Machinery, Rural Crafts & lots More
- If you are a motorcycle enthusiast, Bikefest takes place in Killarney over the June Bank Holiday weekend from 29th May to 1st June 2020. Now in it’s 14th year it attracts national and international visitors who come to see bikes of all shapes and sizes, ride the twisting routes along the wild Atlantic way and listen to some great free live music.
- Staying in Kerry, the K-Fest Arts Festival takes place from May 29th to June 1st 2020 in Killorglin, Co Kerry.
Father’s Day – June 21st 2020
Father’s Day is not a bank or public holiday but is an opportunity to celebrate dads, grandfathers, step-dads and father-in-law’s. Hotels and restaurants will offer special Father’s Day menus or you could cook up a feast at home or head out to enjoy:
- The Cork Midsummer Festival which runs from June 12th to 21st 2020 and has a full program of events for families.
August Bank Holiday – August 3rd 2020
There are some great family events happening over the August Bank Holiday weekend including:
- The Enniscorthy Rockin’ Food Festival in Co. Wexford combines music and food with free family fun and runs over the August Bank Holiday weekend from July 31st to August 3rd 2020.
- The annual Durrow Scarecrow Festival in Co. Laois, takes place from July 31st to August 3rd 2020 and this year celebrates 11 years! The festival offers an eclectic mix of activities for young and old including the Scarecrow Building Contest with national and international participants competing for the top prize.
- Birr Vintage Week & Arts Festival runs from Friday 31st July to August 8th 2020 with free entertainment for children including music, markets and fairs, arts and craft activities and more.
- The streets of Waterford play host to the Spraoi International Street Arts Festival from August 1st to 3rd 2020. With an amazing parade, free music events and street performances.
- Stradbally Woodland Railway has an annual Steam Rally on the August Bank Holiday weekend with steam train rides, vintage cars and more fun activities at Stradbally Hall in Laois.
October Bank Holiday & Halloween – October 26th 2020
Schools are closed from Monday October 26th to Friday October 30th 2020 inclusive. Check out below for things to do with the kids during the Halloween mid-term break.
- Things to Do this Halloween in Ireland
- Halloween Camps for Kids and Teens
- 25 Hauntingly Good Halloween Hangouts
- 15 Frighteningly Free Halloween Things to Do This Mid-term
- The Sligo Live 2020 Music Festival which runs in venues around Sligo from October 22nd to 31st 2020
- The 69th annual Wexford Opera Festival runs from October 20th to November 1st 2020 and offers music lovers the opportunity to experience some of the best opera performers from around the globe.
- Savour Kilkenny takes place over the Halloween bank holiday weekend.
- One of Europe’s largest Halloween festivals, the Banks of the River Foyle. Halloween Festival takes place in Derry during the Halloween break.
Christmas – December 25th & 26th 2020
Christmas is a time to spend with families. We will update our 50 Magical Places to Visit Santa post shortly to ensure you know the best places to visit Santa this Christmas 2020.