Culture Night 2019 takes place on Friday 20th September with free events taking place all around the country. We’ve picked out a selection of the family friendly events, here are Fantastic Free Family Events for Culture Night 2019:
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Fantastic Free Family Events for Culture Night 2019
Culture Night Events at National Museum of Ireland museums
RTÉ Open Air Concert on Clarke Square, Dublin
RTÉ is marking Culture Night by returning to Clarke Square at the National Museum of Ireland Collins Barracks for a free open-air concert that’s not to be missed. Culture Night with RTÉ will transform Clarke Square as RTÉ presents an evening of free live family entertainment from 7.30pm – 10pm, featuring an exciting mix of live music, spoken word, dance and performances from both established and emerging Irish artists, and special guests, in the company of the RTÉ Concert Orchestra.
- The RTÉ Concert Orchestra will perform from 7.30pm, starting with a mix of popular classics. They will be joined by special guests from 8pm.
- A show-opener not to be missed as singers, dancers and choirs perform a Beatles/ Queen Medley
- Live performance from RTÉ Choice Music Prize nominee, Jafaris
- A spoken word and orchestral performance of What A Wonderful World
- Live performance by the Kilfenora Céilí Band, with dancers
- Óró sé do bheatha ‘bhaile performed by Irish vocalists, Síle Denvir, Pauline Scanlon, Sibéal Ní Chasaide and Nicola Joyce
- Live performances from leading Irish female voices, opera singer, Celine Byrne, followed by musician, Wallis Bird
- Aslan join the RTÉ Concert Orchestra to bring the house down
* The National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts & History will remain open from 5pm until late (closure time to be confirmed).
Time: 7.30pm – 10pm
National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology, Dublin
See the Museum in a new light after dark and encounter glittering ancient gold, Egyptian mummies, Iron Age bog bodies, a Viking boat, swords, shields and much more! Challenge yourself to complete one of the free activity sheets which will be available to pick up in Main Museum Reception area. Suitable for all ages.
Time: 5pm – 9pm
Bat Conservation Ireland at the National Museum of Ireland – Natural History, Dublin
Drop into the Wonder Cabinet between 6.30 to 8.30pm, to learn fact from fiction about these night-time navigators. Hang out with the team from Kildare Bat Group and learn all about Ireland’s native bats. No booking required but there may be short waiting time. Partially wheelchair accessible.
Time: 5pm – 9pm
Culture Night At glór, Ennis
Friday 20th September – glór presents a great programme of events for Culture Night 2019, including work by Performance Artist Rachel Macmanus, a screening of the acclaimed new film At Eternity’s Gate exploring the life of tortured artist Vincent Van Gogh (ticketed), and a breath-taking close to Culture Night at glór with a late night foyer gig by Sara Ryan and Steo Wall (ticketed).
Time: Screening of Rachel Macmanus’s work 12pm to 9pm (runs on a loop), screening of Eternity, 7pm, late night gig 9.15pm
Culture Night Tours at GAA Museum, Croke Park, Dublin
The GAA Museum will once again open its doors for Culture Night 2019. What better way to enjoy the magic of Croke Park than by experiencing Ireland’s largest and most historic stadium under lights!
Guided Tours of Croke Park will begin every 15 minutes from 5pm to 9pm on Friday 20th September. This is a free event but due to popularity, pre-registration is required online. Please book your tickets with the link below.
Faerie Dances at Claregalway Castle, Galway
Faeries, pixies and Goblins – join enchanting fairy folk, the wonderful young dancers of Youth Ballet West in the magical medieval setting of Claregalway Castle.
“Faeries come, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame” – WB Yeats
Culture Night at Alliance Française, Dublin
Enjoy Culture Night with a French Twist at Alliance Française de Dublin.
- Multimedia Treasure Hunt – 6pm to 8pm – French Library. Bring your team (all ages welcome) and look around the library to find the treasure! Goodies to be won for the finishers, and a special Premium Membership for winner of the raffle! The hunt will be in English with a hint of French, and is suitable for non-French speakers.
- Concert – 8pm to 10pm – Café. Now a highlight of Culture Night, the festive live concert will this year give the floor to the French band Beretta ChiC, which comes from a family of song peddlers. The music “made in Beretta” is Twist and rock, the atmosphere is offbeat and burlesque. A concert that is sure to be lively, unpretentious and very entertaining! With their deceptively formal appearance, the zany trio plays a double bass and banjo over an electronic beat.
- Their brand new restaurant will be open throughout the evening to celebrate the Fête de la Gastronomie and to give you the opportunity to taste some delicious French food on sale!
Part of the EUROPEAN CULTURAL TRAIL, an initiative of EUNIC Ireland (European Union National Institutes for Culture) for Culture Night.
Time: 6pm – 10pm
Discover Fota Tour, Cork
Step back in time at Fota House this Culture Night and meet the people who lived and worked at the property. Find out what made John Smith Barry ‘Magnificent’; meet Patty Butler, Fota’s last staff member; and find out why the Butler, Mr Russell, could never be mistaken for a gentleman.
House Tours 4PM, 5PM and 6PM. To secure your place on Culture Night tours, please call Tanya on 021 4815543
Time: 4pm – 7pm
Experiment/Learn/Print with Limerick Printmakers
5pm – 7pm: Print for Kids, 3 – 12 yrs
An established favourite on the Culture Night trail, Limerick Printmakers will host a range of free printing activities for children – & parents can play too! Experience the creativity and enjoyment that printmaking can inspire in kids of all ages, assisted by studio members and volunteers. Make a print with the little people in your life and leave with a keepsake.
7.15pm – 9pm: Mini Print Workshops for Young Adults and Adults Only
Explore the possibilities of printmaking with LP by joining us for a choice of mini workshops in different print processes for those aged 14 years up to Adults. Dip into LP’s mixed bag of shapes, materials, and plants to create a truly unique image. All workshops are guided by LP’s friendly & knowledgeable team.
Please note: children under 14 cannot attend activities after 7.15pm
Time: 5pm – 7pm and 7.15pm – 9pm (14+)
Culture Night at dlr Mill Theatre Dundrum
Live Theatre: CARSHOW – an immersive theatre experience which takes the audience on a journey through six different worlds. Through the rear view mirror secret worlds exist in plain sight. Take a back seat and enjoy the ride!
FOR CHILDREN: Have fun with a Roald Dahl Themed Drama Workshop! Ever wondered how books get from page to stage? Come and find out! Suitable for ages 6-10. Limited spaces so prebooking recommended.
VISUAL ART: Check out Holly Christine Ingram’s illustrations of strong depictions of femininity, and mental health, through her own lens of pop-surrealism.
Culture Night at Belvedere House Gardens and Park, Westmeath
Enjoy free tours at Belvedere House, Gardens and Park on Friday 20th September to celebrate Culture Night:
Belvedere by Day
4-5.30pm – Free guided tour of Belvedere Parkland and Follies
Belvedere by Night
6-8pm – Free guided tour of Belvedere House and its hidden histories!
Culture Night at Regional Cultural Centre, Letterkenny
Enjoy the National Football Exhibition, Exhibitions – ‘When I Was a Child’ & ‘Donegal’s Atlantic Way’, Screening ‘An Artist’s Work is Never Done’, & Kids & Craft Drive-in Movie at the RCC in Letterkenny for Culture Night 2019.
- Upstairs in Gallery 1, the National Football Exhibition is made up of six zones, each designed to give you an overview of the various different aspects of football in Ireland. Visitors can explore memorabilia displays, interactive stations with videos, quizzes and an opportunity to step up to the mic and record your own commentary!
- The Upstairs Foyer presents the Exhibition – ‘When I Was a Child’. Following on from the highly successful “I am Donegal” exhibition, Peadar Mc Daid invites 50 artists, photographers and writers to present work on small wooden 8”x10” panels that reflects something from their childhood – a memory, a place, a toy, a pet or a self portrait.
- Accompanying Peadars’ exhibition in WS 3 is the Screening ‘ An Artist’s Work is Never Done’. Created by Peadar & his nephew David, this short film focuses on the working lives of a number of artists working in Donegal, offering insights into their thought process, work and surroundings.
- Downstairs Gallery 2 & Foyer is where you will find ‘Donegal’s Atlantic Way’, an exhibition by Michael Sugrue. This is a unique collection of photographs and poems capturing Donegal’s natural and rugged beauty. The pictures tell a story of the unfolding of the day from dawn to twilight and beyond.
- Workshop 1 will be turned into the Kids & Craft Drive-in Movie from 6pm – 8pm . Families are invited to drop in and build their very own car for our Culture Night indoor drive-in movie experience. Art facilitators will help kids to design and build a car using recycled cardboard boxes and art materials. Once your car is built it’s time to park up and enjoy a selection of short animated movies!
- Performance: The Donegal Youth Orchestra 8pm – 9pm Come along to the RCC auditorium and experience the majestic sounds of a full orchestra at an open rehearsal under the baton of conductor & composer Vincent Kennedy.
Time: 6pm – 9:30pm
TADA! Theatre School Kilkenny BREATHING NEW LIFE INTO SMELLY SOCKS! (NOT LITERALLY)
- Do you have a pile of smelly odd socks in your drawer?
- Have you ever wondered how and why your socks lose their partner on a regular basis?
- Have you ever wondered why they never ever turn up?
- Have you ever wondered why you refuse to let your parents throw your odd your socks away?
TADA! THEATRE HAS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR SMELLY OLD SOCK PROBLEMS!
Bring your super-smelly, old, odd socks (the smellier the better) along to Thomastown Community Centre for Culture Night on the 20th September, 2019 and transform your stinky old sock into a thing of true beauty! After you turn your stinky sock into fantastic puppet, we will hear all about the character you have made and make up a story or two with these fabulous creations!
Session 1: 5pm – 6:15pm and Session 2: 6:30pm – 7:45pm
Over to you now. Do you plan to go to any events for Culture Night 2019? Tell us in the comments below.