A weekend of free family fun and events is just on the horizon as SeaFest 2018 takes place again in Galway city from 29th June to 1st July. We caught up with the organisers to get the inside scoop on what events are taking place at this FREE Family Fun Festival, which attracted more than 100,000 visitors in 2017 and is set to make an even bigger splash this year!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
What is SeaFest?
SeaFest is Ireland’s national maritime festival and takes place over three days (29th June to 1st July) in Galway city. It’s a free event and has quickly become one of the most popular summer festivals in Ireland.
Galway Harbour will be transformed into an ‘open air sea world’ and will be ‘awash with free family-friendly activities, entertainment and attractions both on and off the water’ for the three-day festival including;
- PowerFly’s world champion flyboarders will perform stunning aerial acrobatics.
- Wildlife cameraman Doug Allan will give talks on his experiences including working with David Attenborough on the BBC’s Blue Planet and Frozen Planet.
- There will be a veritable flotilla of ships, many of which are open for public tours, including the RV Celtic Explorer and Granuaile.
- There will be free kayaking and sailing lessons.
- Enjoy exhibits on marine life & sustainable fishing by Bord Iscaigh Mhara (BIM) & Bord Bia including virtual reality displays.
- Fun educational activities and workshops that bring children on a journey of discovery when it comes to the mysteries of the ocean.
- Foodies can get tips from seafood cookery experts and fishmongers and sample some tasty bites.
- Joan Mulloy who is attempting to sail single handed in the famous Vendee Globe Race will be taking you on a Seafood Journey Trail on the Wild Atlantic Way.
Who is SeaFest for?
SeaFest is for everyone – all ages are catered for and it’s the perfect festival for families or friends to come along to enjoy.
Why is SeaFest Different?
SeaFest creates awareness of our maritime heritage and celebrates the amazing ways that our seas and oceans enrich our lives.
Expect to learn more about our marine environment and be entertained in the beautiful surroundings of Galway harbour.
And of course, entry is free!
Tell us in 5 words why we should visit SeaFest 2018?
Fun, free, educational and entertaining!