Feels like the kids are only back in school after Christmas, and we are looking forward to the mid-term break already! Are you looking for ways to entertain them over the school holiday? Here’s our pick of the things to do with kids around Ireland for the February Mid Term 2020 which runs from Friday February 14th to Sunday February 23rd 2020.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
We have rounded up the best of what’s on in Ireland for February midterm. They include free things to do alongside paid camps, events and classes. And we have included some hotel deals from our partners, for anyone look for a break away!
Things to Do in The Dublin Area for February Mid-term
National Museum of Ireland February Mid-term Highlights
The National Museum of Ireland Archaeology, Decorative Arts & History and Natural History are all FREE to visit. They have a full program of events for families and children running across all 3 sites during the February Mid-Term.
Highlights of Free Events Include:
- Sunday 16th February, 2pm to 4pm – FREE Smartphone Photography Workshop with Brendan O’Sé at NMI Collins Barracks. Suitable for ages 12+. Admission is free but booking is required.
- Thursday 20th February, 1.30pm to 3.30pm – FREE drop in event for ages 6+at NMI Archaeology, Kildare Street. Discover what people ate for their supper in the past! Make your own replica quern stone. No booking required.
- Thursday 20th February, 3pm to 4pm – FREE drop in Hands on Design activity for all ages at NMI Collins Barracks. No booking required.
- Friday 21st February, 11am to 11.45am – FREE family mid-term tour: Raiders, Traders and Settlers in Viking Ireland. Suitable for ages 7+. No booking required but places allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Saturday 22nd February, 10am to 4pm – FREE Family Open Day at NMI Natural History, Merrion Square. Meet some real nature heroes from Birdwatch Ireland, Seal Rescue Ireland, Irish Whale & Dolphin Group, Inland Fisheries Ireland and The Herpetological Society of Ireland. No booking required.
- Sunday 23rd February, 3pm to 4pm – FREE public tour entitled Recovered Voices, Ireland and World War 1 at NMI Collins Barracks. Suitable for all ages. No booking required, places limited.
Alliance Française February Mid-Term Break French Camps
Dates & Times: Monday 17th to Friday 21st February – 9.30am to 1pm for 4 to 6 and 7-10 year olds. And 1pm to 4pm for Teens.
French camps for kids are open to students with all levels of French. Intensive revision camps for teens studying for Junior Cert and Leaving Cert.
How to Book: Book your French Mid-term camp here.
Family Fun at Leisureplex Dublin
With 5 Dublin sites to visit, you won’t be short of fun this February mid-term at Leisureplex. From quasar to bowling and snooker to soft play there is something to amuse everyone in the family no matter what your age.
Magical Oceans Lab, Cool Planet Experience, Wicklow
Dates & Times: Wednesday 19th to Sunday 23rd February, 11.30am & 2.30pm daily
Ideally suited for kids who love to experiment and explore kids will explore how nature based solutions can help protect and restore our ocean’s delicate ecosystem with experiments, chemical reactions and some real, messy fun!
How to Book: The Magical Oceans Labs can be booked online and are suitable for children aged 6 to 12 years.
Things To Do In The North West For February Mid-term
Lough Key Forest Park & Activity Park
Located in Boyle, Co. Roscommon, the Lough Key Forest and Activity Park, offers hours of entertainment for all the family. A wonderful Adventure Play Kingdom will entertain the smallest visitors while the Boda Borg Challenge will test the mental skills and physical agility of everybody over seven!
Take a boat trip on the lake or out to the islands, try the Zipit courses, Tree Canopy Walk, & climb to the top of the Moylurg Viewing Tower. There are miles of biking trails and orienteering courses and loads of picnic spots as well as the Lakeside Café.
National Museum of Ireland – Country Life, Mayo
At the National Museum of Ireland – Country Life in Turlough Park, Co. Mayo there are these fun FREE events and workshops taking place for children and teens during the February mid-term.
- Saturday 15th February, 2pm to 4pm – Dust off your fiddle and polish your tin whistle and join the music circle to practice, share and play tunes and songs. This event does not require booking and is suitable for everyone over 12 years.
- Wednesday 19th February, 11.30am & 2pm – Help the museum celebrate the arrival of spring with artist led family workshops for families ages 4 to 6 years. Booking is required.
- Friday 21st February, 11am to 1pm – Join the knitting and crochet circle for some spring patterns and knitting advice. Suitable for ages 7+. FREE event that does not require booking.
Things To Do In Galway For February Mid-Term
Connacht Hotel Galway, February Mid-term Offers
This February mid-term (February 14th to 23rd) you can bag a bargain at The Connacht Hotel Galway with 2 nights bed and breakfast and dinner on one night for your family starting from just €338 per room. Best of all you can enjoy full use of the Leisure Centre with its stunning 20m pool and kiddies pool, avail of the free Friendly Fellows Kids Club which has a full schedule of activities.
For a lovely family day, experience the magic at Brigit’s Garden. Four Celtic themed gardens based on the seasonal festivals surrounded by 11 acres of nature trail, ogham trees, children’s discovery trail, living willow play area, an ancient ring fort (fairy fort), Roundhouse and calendar sundial , the largest in Ireland. There is also a family-friendly cafe for lunch/refreshments after your walk.
Galway City Museum
The Galway City Museum is open daily over the February midterm break and is free to visit. With 3 floors of exhibitions to engage visitors ranging from the history to archaeology and sea science of Galway, you will find something to interest everyone in the family.
Things To Do In Cork For February Mid-term
With bowling, quasar and much more on offer, Leisureplex Cork is the perfect place to visit this February mid-term whatever the weather! Challenge your friends or family to an exciting game of bowling or quasar or take them on at the pool or snooker table and see who comes out victorious!
Blackrock Castle Observatory, Cork
The Blackrock Castle Observatory will be open for visitors over the February mid-term break. There are loads of fun, interactive exhibits and attractions suitable for all ages to enjoy.
Mid-Term Workshops at the Toy Soldier Factory, Cork
Monday 17th to Sunday 23rd February, 10am to 4pm – Enjoy a casting and painting workshop where you will make and paint a miniature to take home. Choose from a large variety of moulds with everything from fairies to elves to toy soldiers and monsters! Best suited for children aged 7+. While there you can pay a visit to the Toy Soldier Factory visitor centre and see the world’s largest model battle scene of the Battle of Waterloo. Book today
Things to Do in Limerick, Clare & Tipperary, Kerry this February Mid-Term
Mid-Term Science Lab at King John’s Castle, Limerick
Date & Time: Friday, February 21st, 10am to 12pm
These Planet Science Kidz labs are suitable for kids aged 5 to 12 years. The hands on labs cover everything from chemistry to biology, geology to physics and should not be missed by curious, budding young scientists!
How to Book: Advance booking is essential as spaces are limited.
Family Mid-term Events at glor, Ennis
- Saturday February 15th, 2.00pm – At glór Ennis you can dust off your instruments and enjoy a FREE family trad session with Eoin O’Neill and friends. No booking required
- Thursday February 20th, 11.30am & 2.30pm – The People’s Theatre present their version of the classic nursery rhyme There was an old lady who swallowed a fly! Suitable for ages 2 to 102!. Book here
- Friday February 21st, 8pm – Take Off Your Cornflakes written by and starring Rose Henderson and Pat Nolan is a play about love and loss with plenty of humour along the way. The show is suitable for ages 14+. Book here
Take the Discovery Trail at The Hunt Museum, Limerick
Take the discovery trail at the The Hunt Museum this February mid-term and learn about the history of the world through the Hunt Museum collection! The trail is FREE, just ask at reception for details.
Kerry County Museum
This February mid-term you can visit the Kerry County Museum in Tralee and children can take the Pangur Ban Trail on a journey of discovery through the museum to solve mysteries, discover items and explore the past.
Captain Cauliflower and Marvin the Mischievous Moose, Garter Lane Arts Centre, Wexford
Date & Times: Friday 21st February 12pm & 2pm
Join Captain Cauliflower and Marvin the Mischievous Moose for a show about superheroes with a difference.
How to Book: Suitable for ages 3+. Book tickets here.
Wexford Arts Centre
Wexford Arts Centre have a host of classes and activities for families in February 2020.
February Mid-Term at The Solstice Arts Centre, Navan
- Saturday 15th February, 11am – Kids rock with Kyle Riley is a genre busting musical concert for kids that the whole family will enjoy! Book here
- Tuesday 18th February, 8pm – Enjoy Hansel and Gretel with a difference when you an the operatic Humperdinck Hansel and Gretel performance in association with Theatre Lovett, and Abbey Theatre. Book here
- Thursday 20th & Friday 21st February, 10.30am daily – Trisha from Creative Genie is hosting a midterm crafts camp for children aged 6+. Book here
Organisers please list your event/class or camp for FREE!
Do you know of any more family events taking place near you? Let us know in the comments below!