Feels like the kids are only back in school after Christmas, and we are looking forward to the mid-term break already! Are you looking for ways to entertain them over the school holiday? Here’s our pick of the things to do with kids around Ireland for the February Mid Term 2020 which runs from Friday February 14th to Sunday February 23rd 2020.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
We have rounded up the best of what’s on in Ireland for February midterm. They include free things to do alongside paid camps, events and classes. And we have included some hotel deals from our partners, for anyone look for a break away!
Things to Do in Dublin & Wicklow for February Mid-term
National Museum of Ireland February Mid-term Highlights, Dublin
The National Museum of Ireland Archaeology, Decorative Arts & History and Natural History are all FREE to visit. They have a full program of events for families and children running across all 3 sites during the February Mid-Term.
Highlights of Free Events Include:
- Sunday 16th February, 2pm to 4pm – FREE Smartphone Photography Workshop with Brendan O’Sé at NMI Collins Barracks. Suitable for ages 12+. Admission is free but booking is required.
- Thursday 20th February, 1.30pm to 3.30pm – FREE drop in event for ages 6+at NMI Archaeology, Kildare Street. Discover what people ate for their supper in the past! Make your own replica quern stone. No booking required.
- Thursday 20th February, 3pm to 4pm – FREE drop in Hands on Design activity for all ages at NMI Collins Barracks. No booking required.
- Friday 21st February, 11am to 11.45am – FREE family mid-term tour: Raiders, Traders and Settlers in Viking Ireland. Suitable for ages 7+. No booking required but places allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Saturday 22nd February, 10am to 4pm – FREE Family Open Day at NMI Natural History, Merrion Square. Meet some real nature heroes from Birdwatch Ireland, Seal Rescue Ireland, Irish Whale & Dolphin Group, Inland Fisheries Ireland and The Herpetological Society of Ireland. No booking required.
- Sunday 23rd February, 3pm to 4pm – FREE public tour entitled Recovered Voices, Ireland and World War 1 at NMI Collins Barracks. Suitable for all ages. No booking required, places limited.
Alliance Française February Mid-Term Break French Camps, Dublin
Dates & Times: Monday 17th to Friday 21st February – 9.30am to 1pm for 4 to 6 and 7-10 year olds. And 1pm to 4pm for Teens.
French camps for kids are open to students with all levels of French. Intensive revision camps for teens studying for Junior Cert and Leaving Cert.
How to Book: Book your French Mid-term camp here.
Family Fun at Leisureplex Dublin
With 5 Dublin sites to visit, you won’t be short of fun this February mid-term at Leisureplex. From quasar to bowling and snooker to soft play there is something to amuse everyone in the family no matter what your age.
Free Interactive Family Fun This Mid Term At The Round Tower Clondalkin, Dublin
Dates & Times: Open daily from 9am to 4pm & 9am to 6pm on weekends.
If you’re looking for free things to do in Dublin with the family this mid term, a visit to The Round Tower Clondalkin is a must! 1 Tower – 1000 years of history is what you get when you bring the family along for an interactive day out. And best of all, it won’t cost you a cent, unless of course you’re tempted by the goodies on offer in the on-site Happy Pear Café!
How To Book: No booking required and admission is free.
Adult & Child Baking Workshop at Airfield, Dublin
Date and time: Saturday 15th February 10.30 am to 1 pm
Have you an eager young baker at home aged 8 or upwards? Or maybe Mum & Dad want a break? Grandparents and parents bring your young bakers along and together create and decorate some delicious cupcakes & chocolate biscuit cake.
Each adult can bring no more than 2 kids, not suitable for kids with food allergies, kids must be aged 8 and upwards for health and safety.
How to Book: Tickets cost €40 per adult and young chef (+ 1 additional adult/young chef €20) and can be booked online
Explorers and Adventurers Mid Term Camps at Airfield, Dublin
Dates & Times: 17th – 21st February, 9am-2:30pm with After Camp Care options until 5:30pm available.
There are 2 Mid Term camps taking place this February mid term at Airfield: Explorers Camp and Adventurers Camp.
- Explorers Camp: Explorers will spend a week taking on the role of a scientist, whilst at the same time, exploring the farm, gardens and natural habitats at Airfield. Perfect for inquisitive little ones, think experiments with crazy concoctions, making rain-resistant shelters, building and construction.
- Adventurers Mid-Term Camp: Campers will spend the week out and about exploring the gardens, farm and natural habitats at Airfield. Camp goers will search for mini-beasts, get to know all the animals, sow seeds and take part in loads of fun activities.
- After-camp is available for 1-5 days of your choice! This which means your child is with camp at Airfield until 5.30 pm. This afternoon part of the camp is essentially a continuation of camp activities and could include forest skills, cooking, crafts, play, storytime etc. You can book as many or as few days of after care as you wish.
Both camps are suitable for kids from age 5-8. More details on the Airfield website.
Curiosity Camp at Imaginosity, Dublin
Dates and Times: 17th – 21st February 2020, 9am-2.30pm daily
This February mid-term break, Imaginosity will be running another FUN packed 5 days of camp to keep the kids entertained and engaged throughout the school holidays!
Mid-term Curiosity Camp at the museum will run from 17th – 21st February 2020, and will be suitable for children aged 4-6 and 7-9 years.
How to Book: Full 5 days €135, camp daily rate €35. Call Call 01 217 6130 to book. Daily, and weekly rates with additional discounts available for members/sibling bookings.
The Confidence Clinic Mid Term Camp for Kids
Dates and Times: 18th – 21st February 2020, 10-3pm
The Confidence Clinic Kids Camps for ages 7-12 years are all about helping children to live their best life. The camp takes place in Queen of Angels National School, Sandyford and includes games, yoga, fun lessons, mindfulness and guided meditations. Most of the camp will be outdoors weather permitting.
How to Book: Cost per child: €90.00, can be booked online
Magical Oceans Lab, Cool Planet Experience, Wicklow
Dates & Times: Wednesday 19th to Sunday 23rd February, 11.30am & 2.30pm daily
Ideally suited for kids who love to experiment and explore kids will explore how nature based solutions can help protect and restore our ocean’s delicate ecosystem with experiments, chemical reactions and some real, messy fun!
How to Book: The Magical Oceans Labs can be booked online and are suitable for children aged 6 to 12 years.
You May Also Enjoy: 30 Terrific Things to Do In Dublin for Teens and older Kids
Family Events at National Gallery Ireland, Dublin
Dates and Times: Sunday 16th February, Friday 21st February, Sunday 23rd February various times
There are free family events at National Gallery Ireland this February mid-term:
- Drop-in family workshop on Sunday 16th February 11.30-13.30, free creative workshop for children and their families
- Family-friendly tour – Sunday 16th February 12.30 – 13.15, free tour of the collection, tailored to engage young visitors and their families.
- Mid-term Break Workshop \ Moment in Monochrome on Friday 21st February 14.00 – 15.30 For children aged 12+. NB limited places remaining.
- Drop-in family workshop on Sunday 23rd February 11.30-13.30, free creative workshop for children and their families
- Family-friendly tour on Sunday 23rd February 12.30 – 13.15, free tour of the collection, tailored to engage young visitors and their families.
How to Book: The drop in workshops and tours are free, mo booking required. The Mid Term Break Workshop costs €15 and can be booked online.
Reading from ‘Boot’ and Robot themed illustration workshop, Hugh Lane Gallery, Dublin
Date and Time: Thursday 20 February, 11am-12.15pm
Enjoy a reading from this year’s Dublin City Libraries Citywide Reading Campaign choice “Boot” with the author Shane Hegarty, followed by an illustration Robot themed workshop. Suitable for 5-10 year olds. Parents stay with their children for this workshop.
How to Book: Free, no booking required, although numbers may be limited.
Build a Birdfeeder at National Botanic Gardens, Dublin
Date and Time: Thursday 20th February 11am-1pm
A fun kids’ workshop where we will be making bird feeders to help our feathered friends during the colder winter months. Be sure to wear old clothes as you may be making a mess! Suitable for ages 6-12.
How to Book: Booking is essential – call (01) 804 0319/ 857 0909 or email [email protected]
One Day Junior Songschool at National Concert Hall, Dublin
Date and Time: Thursday 20th February 10:30am – The Studio with free concert for family and friends at 2:30pm
Junior Songschool is for students aged 8 -12 years old who are interested in writing and recording songs, performing them in concert, learning about music technology, and meeting people who love music as much as they do… not to mention forming bands and having fun!
Make music and new friends! Please bring your instrument and a packed lunch. Free concert for family and friends at 2.30pm.
How to Book: €20 per child, book online
Mid Term Tales at Glasnevin Cemetery Museum, Dublin
Dates and Times: Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th February 11:00am
Back for February 2020 – Mid Term Tales. The history of Glasnevin Cemetery will be brought to life with this family friendly tour. Highlights include:
- Fr. Browne and the Titanic – the man who captured rare photographs of the famous ship
- Grave-robbing – Why does Glasnevin Cemetery have such high walls and watch towers?
- Yew Trees – there is more to them than you think!
- William Fogarty’s pesky parrot
- Maria Higgins the only person in the cemetery who was buried twice
You are requested to arrive at the Museum Reception at least 15 minutes before the start of your Tour. Please note that due to the nature of these tours, all attending adults must be accompanying a child or children. Unfortunately, attendees registering without a child or children will be unable to join the tour.
How to Book: Tickets are €7.50pp and can be booked online
Print Workshops for Kids at National Print Museum, Dublin
Date and Time: Wednesday 19th February 2020 10.30-11.30am and 12.30-13.30pm
There are 2 workshops for kids taking place at National Print Museum this February Mid Term Break both on Wednesday 19th February:
- Onomatopoeia! – Workshop for 4-7 years. An introduction to printing, using the shapes of the wood type to make some inky expressive posters! Cost €15, Max. 6 children
- Build-A-Print – Workshop for 8-12 years In this workshop you will use Lego bases and tiles to create fabulous designs to print with the museum’s Adana printing press! Cost €15, Max. 6 children
How to Book: 01 6603770 or email [email protected]
Things To Do In The North West For February Mid-term
Lough Key Forest Park & Activity Park, Roscommon
Located in Boyle, Co. Roscommon, the Lough Key Forest and Activity Park, offers hours of entertainment for all the family. A wonderful Adventure Play Kingdom will entertain the smallest visitors while the Boda Borg Challenge will test the mental skills and physical agility of everybody over seven!
Take a boat trip on the lake or out to the islands, try the Zipit courses, Tree Canopy Walk, & climb to the top of the Moylurg Viewing Tower. There are miles of biking trails and orienteering courses and loads of picnic spots as well as the Lakeside Café.
National Museum of Ireland – Country Life, Mayo
At the National Museum of Ireland – Country Life in Turlough Park, Co. Mayo there are these fun FREE events and workshops taking place for children and teens during the February mid-term.
- Saturday 15th February, 2pm to 4pm – Dust off your fiddle and polish your tin whistle and join the music circle to practice, share and play tunes and songs. This event does not require booking and is suitable for everyone over 12 years.
- Wednesday 19th February, 11.30am & 2pm – Help the museum celebrate the arrival of spring with artist led family workshops for families ages 4 to 6 years. Booking is required.
- Friday 21st February, 11am to 1pm – Join the knitting and crochet circle for some spring patterns and knitting advice. Suitable for ages 7+. FREE event that does not require booking.
Pony Camps, Donegal
Dates and Times: 20th, 21st & 22nd February 2020, full day and half day available.
Donegal Equestrian Centre have non residential Pony Camps for children of all levels of riding, from the novice to the experienced. They are the ideal way to introduce children to horses and ponies and provide further training for the experienced child rider. Children learn through fun and hands on experience under supervision. All children are divided into groups according to ability.
How to Book: Full and half day available, camps can be booked online.
Recommended Reading: 20 Spring Crafts for Kids to Create
Things To Do In Galway For February Mid-Term
Connacht Hotel Galway, February Mid-term Offers
This February mid-term (February 14th to 23rd) you can bag a bargain at The Connacht Hotel Galway with 2 nights bed and breakfast and dinner on one night for your family starting from just €338 per room.
Best of all you can enjoy full use of the Leisure Centre with its stunning 20m pool and kiddies pool, avail of the free Friendly Fellows Kids Club which has a full schedule of activities.
Explore Play Learn Family Day, Galway
Date and Time: Saturday 15 February, 11.00 am to 1.00 pm,
There will be an Explore Play Learn Family Day taking place at Ballybane Library in Galway, which promises to be an amazing morning of immersive play and exploration for children and families.
- There will be special play-zones set up in the library that children and parents can explore.
- Experts from Galway Childcare Committee will be there to talk to you about your child’s development and learning.
- You can learn how to make your own play spaces and sensory toys from items you have in your home.
- There will be free music and rhyme sessions with professional musicians from Groundswell Arts Studio.
- And lastly, free resource packs for all families to take home.
How to book: The best bit is you don’t have to book. It’s open to all, so come along and join in! Phone 091 509244 for more information.
Brigit’s Garden, Galway
For a lovely family day out this mid term break, experience the magic at Brigit’s Garden. Four Celtic themed gardens based on the seasonal festivals surrounded by 11 acres of nature trail, ogham trees, children’s discovery trail, living willow play area, an ancient ring fort (fairy fort), Roundhouse and calendar sundial, the largest in Ireland. There is also a family-friendly cafe for lunch/refreshments after your walk.
Galway City Museum
The Galway City Museum is open daily over the February midterm break and is free to visit. With 3 floors of exhibitions to engage visitors ranging from the history to archaeology and sea science of Galway, you will find something to interest everyone in the family.
Recommended Reading: 50 of the Best Spring Activities for Kids
Things To Do In Cork For February Mid-term
Book at Mid-Term Break Family Stay At Clonakilty Park Hotel, Cork
For those wishing to spend mid-term in Cork, the Clonakilty Park Hotel is the perfect choice.
Family rooms come with every combination of beds. And, if you need more space, there are apartments and holiday homes. All rooms have the family essentials, a fridge, kettle, TV/DVD player, and of course free wifi!
The on-site facilities at the Clonakilty Park Hotel are amazing too, with a host of children’s activities and the kids club runs daily from February 14th to 23rd. And entertainment each evening (7.30pm to 9.30pm) from February 20th to 22nd.
In addition they have a fully supervised indoor jungle gym, games room, 3 screen cinema, high ropes adventure centre, outdoor playground with a pirate ship and the leisure centre.
For bookings please visit www.clonakilityparkhotel.com or call reservations on +353 (0)238836400
With bowling, quasar and much more on offer, Leisureplex Cork is the perfect place to visit this February mid-term whatever the weather! Challenge your friends or family to an exciting game of bowling or quasar or take them on at the pool or snooker table and see who comes out victorious!
Blackrock Castle Observatory, Cork
The Blackrock Castle Observatory will be open for visitors over the February mid-term break. There are loads of fun, interactive exhibits and attractions suitable for all ages to enjoy.
Mid-Term Workshops at the Toy Soldier Factory, Cork
Dates & Times: Monday 17th to Sunday 23rd February, 10am to 4pm
Enjoy a casting and painting workshop where you will make and paint a miniature to take home. Choose from a large variety of moulds with everything from fairies to elves to toy soldiers and monsters! Best suited for children aged 7+. While there you can pay a visit to the Toy Soldier Factory visitor centre and see the world’s largest model battle scene of the Battle of Waterloo. Book today
Things to Do in Limerick, Clare, Tipperary, Kerry this February Mid-Term
Mid-Term Science Lab at King John’s Castle, Limerick
Date & Time: Friday, February 21st, 10am to 12pm
These Planet Science Kidz labs are suitable for kids aged 5 to 12 years. The hands on labs cover everything from chemistry to biology, geology to physics and should not be missed by curious, budding young scientists!
How to Book: Advance booking is essential as spaces are limited.
Family Mid-term Events at glór, Ennis
- Saturday February 15th, 2.00pm – At glór Ennis you can dust off your instruments and enjoy a FREE family trad session with Eoin O’Neill and friends. No booking required
- Thursday February 20th, 11.30am & 2.30pm – The People’s Theatre present their version of the classic nursery rhyme There was an old lady who swallowed a fly! Suitable for ages 2 to 102!. Book here
- Friday February 21st, 8pm – Take Off Your Cornflakes written by and starring Rose Henderson and Pat Nolan is a play about love and loss with plenty of humour along the way. The show is suitable for ages 14+. Book here
Kids Midterm Camp at The Hunt Museum, Limerick
Dates and Times: Wednesday 19th – Friday 21st February, 10am to 4pm
Artist Stephan Murphy will lead the ‘Little Gems’ camp, helping camp kids ages 6-12 to seek out and create imagined worlds for some of the tiniest, most fascinating objects in the museum’s Collection. Experimentation with new art materials and techniques guaranteed.
How to book: €65 per child, book online
Family Events at Kerry County Museum
Dates & Times: Saturday 15th and Saturday 22nd February, 10am to 4.30pm (30 minutes sessions)
This February mid-term at Kerry County Museum:
- Sásta! Become a Stone Age Artist Saturday 15th February 10:00 am to 4:30 pm. Join Hazel for a fun-filled drop-in workshop recreating Stone Age cave paintings and rock art. Sessions take place from 10am until 4.30pm and each session lasts about 30 minutes. This workshop is suitable for children ages 3 to 10 with different activities to suit all ages. €5 per adult (children go free).
- Sásta! Make a Viking Shield Saturday 22nd February 10:00 am – 4:30 pm. Join Hazel for a fun-filled drop-in workshop discovering the Vikings in Kerry. Viking shield making sessions take place from 10am until 4.30pm and each session lasts about 30 minutes. This workshop is suitable for children ages 3 to 10 with different activities to suit all ages. €5 per adult (children go free).
Things to Do in The Midlands this February Mid-Term
February mid-term STEM Camp at Birr Castle Gardens, Offaly
Date and Time: Thursday 20th February 10am to 3pm
Explore the wonderful worlds of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths in this one day camp at Birr Castle Gardens. The day will be filled with hands-on exciting experiments, investigations and challenges that will encourage a greater appreciation and understanding of the STEM subjects. You’ll be conducting experiments with dry ice; making elephant toothpaste and ice cream; playing with levitation; building catapults and hovercraft and much, much more!
How to Book: Spaces are strictly limited so book now on 057 9120336 to avoid disappointment. €40 per child, suitable for ages 8-12
Belvedere House, Gardens and Park, Westmeath
Dates & Times: 9.30am to 4.30pm daily (house closes at 4pm)
This mid term head to Belvedere House and let the kids loose in 160 acres of parkland with 3 playgrounds, 8kms of lakeside walks, a forest, a fairy garden, the jealous wall, a georgian villa, a victorian walled garden and a café to get goodies in once you have explored everything. You can also visit Belvedere House and take a house tour.
How To Book: Save 20% on your ticket when you book online
Make and Do Studio Midterm Workshops at Kildare Village
Dates & Times: Thursday 20th to Sunday 23rd February, 12pm to 5pm
The kids can enjoy four fun filled days of workshops while you get some shopping time at Kildare Village this February midterm.
- Thursday is Arts & Crafts Workshop
- Friday is Lego Technics Workshop
- Saturday is Pound Drumming, music and dance workshop
- Sunday is Science & Slime workshop
How to Book: Each drop in workshop lasts approx 45 minutes and there is no pre-booking required.
Bosco Magical Garden and Sleeping Beauty at Visual Carlow
Date and Time: Sunday 23rd February, 2pm
Bosco is Bosco, not a boy, not a girl, just a Bosco: a cheeky, lovely, funny, slightly cracked, irrepressible, eternal five-year-old who lives in a box and who loves nothing more than to just be Bosco and meet all the boys and girls. After starring on Irish TV for three decades, you’ll see why Bosco remains a firm favorite for each new generation.
Enjoy the enchanted story of Sleeping Beauty where an evil Fairy-Night filled with jealousy tries to harm Beauty but luckily, she has very good fairy friends. With its brilliant array of Characters, lots of fun and excitement through this completely interactive live experience with the absolute magic of Puppet Theatre.
How to Book: Tickets €12 or Family of 4 €40 on the Visual Carlow website
Miriam Lambert Puppeteer Presents: The Gingerbread Man at Watergate Theatre, Kilkenny
Date and Time: Sunday 23rd February, 2pm
“Run, run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me I’m the Gingerbreadman”. In this rendition of the age-old tale Miriam Lambert, using herself as a humanette, bakes the gingerbread. The freshly baked biscuit runs, eluding the hungry grasp of everyone – until he meets a very clever fox.
How to Book: Tickets €8.50 / Family of 4 €30 on the Watergate Theatre website
Captain Cauliflower and Marvin the Mischievous Moose, Garter Lane Arts Centre, Wexford
Date & Times: Friday 21st February 12pm & 2pm
Join Captain Cauliflower and Marvin the Mischievous Moose for a show about superheroes with a difference.
How to Book: Suitable for ages 3+. Book tickets here.
Little Artist Club at Wexford Arts Centre
Dates and Times: Saturdays 8th, 15th and 29th February 10am
Inspire your budding Artists with this year’s offerings from the skilled facilitators at the Little Artists Club, with feathers and veggies, wibble-wobbles and zig-zags, flower masks and fun tasks full of surprises. Come with full bellies ready for burning energy, getting messy and not wanting to leave!
Facilitated by Wexford based artists; Deirdre Buttimer & Jeni Roddy, both with a passion for creativity and delivering the best possible workshops to your little artists!
Max 16 children per group, for ages 4-7.
How to Book: on the Wexford Arts Centre website
Recommended Reading: Download our FREE 50 Fun Spring Activities for Kids Checklist
February Mid-Term at The Solstice Arts Centre, Navan
- Saturday 15th February, 11am – Kids rock with Kyle Riley is a genre busting musical concert for kids that the whole family will enjoy! Book here
- Tuesday 18th February, 8pm – Enjoy Hansel and Gretel with a difference when you an the operatic Humperdinck Hansel and Gretel performance in association with Theatre Lovett, and Abbey Theatre. Book here
- Thursday 20th & Friday 21st February, 10.30am daily – Trisha from Creative Genie is hosting a midterm crafts camp for children aged 6+. Book here
- Saturday 22nd February, 4pm – Lords of Strut: Absolute Legends fuse their signature combination of dizzying acrobatics, riotous comedy and big heart to deliver their most ridiculous and sublime family show to date. Rip-roaringly funny, fantastically bizarre, they are absolute legends! Book here
Kids Cook Cookery Easter Camps, Meath
Dates and Times: Thursday 20th and Friday 21st February 2020 for 5-9 year olds and Tweens.
Kids Cook Cookery School in Clonee, Meath are running Kids Cookery Camps at February Mid Term for kids aged 5 to 13 years. These hands-on classes encourage children to taste and experiment with different types of food as they are taught basic cooking and baking techniques. Working in groups make these classes very sociable and interactive. They eat what they have cooked and always take a little bit home for parents. All ingredients are included and aprons are provided. Cooking techniques and recipes are age-appropriate.
How to Book: on the Kidscook.ie website
Organisers please list your event/class or camp for FREE!
Do you know of any more family events taking place near you? Let us know in the comments below!