- Easons bookshop, Galway Shopping Centre and Shop Street, Saturdays at 11 a.m.
- City – Fridays 11.15 a.m.
- Westside – Fridays at 3 p.m.
- Ballybane – Fridays at 12.15 p.m.
- Athenry – Saturdays at 12 p.m.
- Headford – Wednesdays at 11.30 a.m.
- Oranmore – Fridays at 12 noon
- Tuam – Thursdays at 11.30 a.m.
- Spiddal – Thursdays at 3.30 p.m.
You will find Parent and Toddler mornings on:
- Wednesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. in Busy Bees in Oranmore, tel (091) 788516
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Bonkers, City Limits. Cost €8.00. Call them on (091) 388100 for full details.
- Thursdays in Kardio Kids from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at a cost of €5 per child with complementary Tea or coffee.
For other Parent & Toddler groups that meet, check out our listings under the Parent & Toddler category.
Places with smaller pools suitable for toddlers that are open to the public:
- Aura Leisure Centre, Palace Grounds, Tuam, Co Galway, tel: (093) 52394, web: www.auraleisurecentres.com Baby pool, learner pool, 25m pool. Public times M, W, F 1.45 – 3.30 p.m. / 5.15 – 8 p.m. and Tu, Th 2.45 – 8 p.m. Under 3s free to swim.
- Leisureland, Salthill, Galway, tel: (091) 521455, web: www.leisureland.ie. Parent & Toddler Sessions 10.15 a.m. Mondays and Thursdays.
- Kingfisher Club, Renmore Ave, Renmore, Galway, tel: (091) 773344, web: www.kingfisherclub.com. Baby pool, public swim times 6.00 – 9.00 a.m. and 2.00 – 4.30 p.m.
- Kilcornan Swimming Pool, Clarenbridge, Co Galway, tel: 091 796295 Aura Leisure Centre, Tuam. The pool is open for public swims Saturdays 14.00-14.50 and Sundays 15.00-15.50 and 16.00-16.50. Bank Holidays same as Sundays. The pool also has classes for children and families. Please call for full details.
- Escape Leisure Club, Claregalway Hotel. Parent & Toddler swim lessons on Mondays and Thursdays 10.15. 9 months upwards. Tel: 091 738334
Gymboree on Thursdays 10.30-11.30 at Busy Bees, Oranmore. Tel (091) 788516Arts & Crafts classes for Parents & Toddlers at Busy Bees will be starting from September 08 on Tuesday mornings, tel (091) 788516
Lots of these round Galway, have a look at our article on playgrounds.
Other play areas around the County:
Did you know there was a play area in the old castle orchard at Rinville Park in Oranmore?
Milltown has a nice play area with sandpit, slides, swings, with an easy walk along the river to the old cottage. Picnic area as well.
Lakeside park in Loughrea has a good preschooler play section.
Athenry playpark near the Castle has an excellent section for the young ones
- Bonkers at City Limits, Oranmore, Co. Galway, tel: (091) 388100, web: www.citylimits.ie
- Busy Bees, Oranmore Business Park, Oranmore, Co Galway, tel: (091) 788516
- Galway Leisure World, Galway Shopping Centre, Headford Road, Galway, tel: (091) 562199, web: www.leisureworld.ie
- Monkey Business, Western Distributor Road, Knocknacarra, Galway, tel: (091) 580956
- Monkey Business, Tuam, Co Galway, tel: (093) 60901
- Kardio Kids, Raheen Woods Hotel, Athenry, tel: 875300
Coole Park, near Gort. There are several walks through the forest, including the family walk which takes you past the Coole river (see if you can spot Yeats’ swans), a walled garden with sundial, The Autograph tree, picnic area, and plenty of grass to run about and play on. Also, check out the deer in the paddock up from the café at the stable area. Toilets at the beginning of the forest walk.
Barna Woods is a great place for a woodland walk with bridges and streams to explore. Cappagh Park Playground is accessible too.
- Grattan beach, between City Centre and Salthill
- Silver Strand beach, near Barna
- Tracht beach, near Kinvara
- Spiddal beach
- Bishop’s Castle beach near Ballyvaughan
- Atlantaquaria, Galway’s national aquarium is a great place to take preschoolers, they love looking at all the fish, going in the mini-submarine, getting to hold starfish in the touchpools. Bonuses are baby changing facilities, great café Arabica and playpark nearby, as well as all day tickets which mean you can come in and out if you need to.
- Turoe Pet Farm, Bullaun, Loughrea. Lots to do out here at Turoe, both outdoor and indoor. There are all the animals to feed at the pet farm, outdoor playgrounds, and indoor soft play areas as well as indoor eating area.
- At An Siopa Bui, Spiddal, your child can paint a pottery cup, plate or bowl (which can be left for glazing), or else an ornamental item in acrylic (can be taken home that day). For babies, they can have hand or foot prints painted onto the items. Wide selection of card making materials also available in the shop.
- Dartfield Horse Museum, near Loughrea. This is a great place to take preschoolers, even on a rainy day, they have an indoor play area with rocking horses, small chairs and tables with toys and colouring. You can see the old carriages and farm tools. There’s also an enclosed courtyard to run about in and a café on site. Plenty to do outside as well, including the horses, and woodland walk nearby! Kathleen and Willy are very welcoming hosts.
For suggestions of where to go with toddlers, we have compiled a list of child-friendly places to eat.