We call this ‘banana cake bread’ in our house because one of my daughters thinks it’s a bread and the other thinks it’s a cake – the art of compromise! Either way, this is our favourite kid-approved banana bread recipe and gets snapped up in no time!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
This banana bread recipe is perfect for lunchboxes or bake sales, and is easily doubled. In fact, I usually make two at a time and freeze one for another day.
You May Also Enjoy You’ll Love This Delicious Banana Upside Down Cake
Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 lb very ripe bananas
- 8oz (225g) self-raising white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4oz (110g) butter
- 6oz (170g) castor sugar
- 4oz (110g) sultanas or raisins
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 170ºC for a fan oven
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, rub in the butter then add the sugar and sultanas/raisins.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and add to the bowl along with the eggs. Mix the ingredients well and pour the mixture into the lined tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1½ hours. Cool before removing from the tin. Keeps well for days in an air-tight container.
Courtesy of food writer Judy Kavanagh © The Cook Club 2008
You May Also Enjoy 50 Best Bake Sale Ideas to Make You the Coolest Parent Ever
Have you tried this banana bread recipe yet? What did you think? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!