Judy Kavanagh shares her banana bread recipe, Banana Cake Bread. “We call this Cake Bread because one of my daughters thinks it’s a bread and the other thinks it’s a cake, the art of compromise! I usually make two at a time and freeze one. This cake is great as a lunchbox treat and is always a hit with afternoon tea.”
- 1lb very ripe bananas
- 8oz (225g) self-raising white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4oz (110g) butter
- 6oz (170g) castor sugar
- 4oz (110g) sultanas or raisins
- 2 eggs lightly beaten with a fork
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 170ºC for a fan oven
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, rub in the butter then add the sugar and sultanas/raisins.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and add to the bowl along with the eggs. Mix the ingredients well and pour the mixture into the lined tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1½ hours. Cool before removing from the tin.
Keeps well for days.
© The Cook Club 2008
You may also like – Healthy Snack Ideas So Good the Kids Will Want More!