This recipe for Creamy Slow Cooker Stroganoff is adapted from Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking by Stephanie O’Dea.
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 30 g butter
- 50 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 225 g mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 50 ml broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence or thyme
- 100 g cream cheese, diced
- egg noodles, for serving
- Put the meat into the slow cooker (frozen is fine). Add the butter, milk, Worcestershire sauce, onion, mushrooms, broth, salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours, or until the meat is tender. Stir in the cream cheese and cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cream cheese is fully incorporated into the sauce.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper if necessary. Serve over cooked egg noodles.
You can find these recipes and more family favourites on the Dinnerdujour blog, www.dinnerdujour.org.