These Healthy Veggie Nuggets from ILoveCooking are crispy on the outside, soft and tender in the middle. They are super easy to make, packed with nutritional goodness and a source of complete plant protein.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Healthy Veggie Nuggets
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 300g / 10.5 oz cooked tri-colour quinoa
- 60g / 2oz frozen peas, thawed
- 60g / 2oz frozen corn, thawed
- 80g / 3oz finely grated carrot, excess water drained
- 40g / 1.5oz oats (gluten free if needed)
- 10g / 0.35oz buckwheat flour or gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan rock salt
- Herbs if desired (1 tbsp fresh / 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 180°C fan assisted
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side until “eggy” in consistency, approx. 1-2 minutes
- Mix together all other ingredients in a large bowl
- Add flax “egg” and mix well
- Form the mixture into 12 balls or alternatively press into the wells of silicon muffin trays
- If creating balls pack the ingredients tightly together and place on a tray lined with parchment paper and lightly greased with spray oil. Use a ¼ cup measuring tool to create even size balls which to ensure they cook evenly
- If using muffin trays lightly grease with spray oil, use a ¼ cup measure to divide the mixture evenly and press it down into the muffin holes
- Bake for 20 minutes. You can flip after 15 minutes so that they are brown on both sides and nicely crisp. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating (or removing from the muffin tray if you went with this option!)
- Serve with sauces, dips and sides of choice… guacamole, hummus, homemade tomato ketchup, sweet potato wedges etc. Alternatively create a jumbo superfood salad and serve veggie nuggets on top much like you would falafel
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat in a pan with a tsp of coconut oil. Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side over a medium heat.