These jam heart cookies are very easy to make and quick to put together. They would be nice for a Valentine sweet treat and kids will enjoy making them with you.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
They say the best way to a person’s heart is through their tummy, so how about rustling up these cute valentine jam cookies, they are a fun baking project for kids, they can help cut out and spoon jam.
How to Make Valentine Jam Heart Cookies
- 100g / 3.5oz sugar
- 50g / 2oz butter
- 1 small egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 135g / 5 oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Raspberry Jam to decorate
You will need 2 heart cookie cutters of different sizes.
Early in the Day or the Day before:
- In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs, extract, and milk.
- In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl. Mix with mixer until well combined.
- With hands, shape dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
When Ready to Cook
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / 390 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Roll half or 1/3 dough at a time, keep the rest refrigerated.
- For crisp cookies, roll dough, paper thin. For softer cookies, roll 1/8” to 1/4″ thick.
- With floured cookie cutter, cut into shapes. Re-roll trimmings and cut. Once you have made several of the large heart cookies them make another batch and using the smaller heart cookie cutter cut a heart shape in the middle to create your window for the jam later.
- Place cookies 1/2 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes or until very light brown. With a spatula, remove cookies to racks; cool…
- When the cookies are cool you can spread approximately a teaspoon of jam on the middle of the full heart cookies and place the window on top. Press down firmly and repeat until all your sweethearts are made.
You might also enjoy 7 Fruity Valentines Treats Kids will Love