This is a modern take on that ice cream treat from when I was a child – an ice cream sandwich cake with real raspberries and a chocolate biscuit outer coating. I’ve designed this to be made as a cake, then sliced and eaten in portions.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free? Please share this with your family & friends if you liked it!
Memories of ice cream from my childhood include thin wafers sandwiched with a sliver of ice cream in between them. Running around the garden with the vanilla ice cream dripping down my fingers and licking the sweetness.
If you got a block of raspberry ripple then you were in for a real treat because the tart raspberry gel swirled into vanilla ice cream was delicious.
Here’s my Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe, a real take on the old classic treat we used to have.
You May Also Enjoy 40 Fun Ice Cream Cake Ideas You Need to Try
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
- 100g frozen berries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg
- 75g cocoa powder
- 100g plain flour
- 500ml of vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, heat the berries, lemon juice and sugar to boiling point. Simmer for at least 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat a (fan) oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with greaseproof baking paper. Get a loaf tin and line the full inside with cling film.
- Whisk the butter and remaining sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg, then finally the cocoa powder and flour. Beat until you have a stiff dough. Roll out to a rectangle on a floured board which will fit the full size of the tray, lift into place and trim the edges if you need to.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Before you take the tray from the oven, take the block of ice cream out of the freezer to allow to thaw slightly.
- Carefully while the dough is still warm use the loaf tin as a template to slice the dough into 2 long strips which will fit into the tin when cooled. You can eat the remaining biscuit here if you like. Call it the cook’s treat!
- With a spatula, lift the first piece of slightly warm biscuit into the bottom of the lined loaf tin. Next, slice the block of ice cream into chunks and press on top of the biscuit. Pour the cooked and cooled raspberries on top, then top with the second piece of biscuit. You can see that the raspberries ooze over the top and down the sides of the cake, which is a great contrast with the creamy vanilla ice cream.
- Cover the entire loaf tin with cling film and freeze for 3 hours before serving. I use a hot mug of water with a sharp metal knife to get straight lines and portions. Then wrap in greaseproof paper, twist each end and refreeze as little parcels.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland.
You May Also Enjoy 10 Simple Ice Cream Recipes that Kids will Love to Make & Eat
Have you tried this ice cream sandwich cake recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!