Got a child’s birthday coming up who is a big Frozen fan? Make this wonderful Elsa from Frozen Cake in a few straightforward steps:
Recipe adapted from Yummymummykitchen.com
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups milk
For the Frosting
- 280g/10 oz butter, softened
- 560g/20 oz icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- few drops turquoise food colouring
- Mixing bowls
- Electric Mixer
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cooling racks
- Two 9 x 1-1/2-inch or 8 x 1-1/2-inch cake tins
- 1 bowl tin
- 1 Elsa doll
- Piping bag
Making the Cakes and Frosting
1. Make up a double batch of Yellow Cake mix, here’s a recipe from Bhg.com
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5
3. Divide the cake mix between two round tins and one bowl tin.
4. Bake the 3 cakes, the 2 round ones will take about 20 minutes (or longer depending on your oven) while the bowl cake will need additional time, 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cakes on cooling racks and prepare your frosting.
5. Make a double batch of buttercream icing. Here’s a recipe from the BBC Food website
6. Use one half of the batch for a white underlayer and the second half for the coloured frosting.
7. Divide the second batch into 3 smaller bowls and add different quantities of turquoise food colouring to make 3 different blues.
Assembly and Icing
9. When the cakes are completely cool, cut a hole in the bottom of each cake for the doll to go into. You could use a thin glass to cut around or a round cookie cutter as a guide.
10. Spread a little of the white frosting between the 2 round layers and freeze for 5 minutes to harden.
11. Put the bowl layer upside down on top of the 2 layers then spread a layer of the white frosting batch over the whole of your assembled cake to create the skirt.
12. Ice the skirt with different shades of the blue frosting.
14. Insert the Elsa doll and stick her in the middle hole
15. Use a little more frosting to make a seal between the doll and the cake.
16. Pipe on some white snowflakes. Hint: draw snowflakes on icing with a toothpick then go over with icing piping over the grooves.
You might also enjoy looking at these 12 Brilliant Birthday Cake Ideas.
Did you have a go at making this Elsa from Frozen cake? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.