Need some new ways to present fruit to your child? Try these fun kid friendly fruit snack ideas to help get your five a day portions into them:
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
I am lucky because my two daughter do like fruit but sometimes it’s nice to make a bit of fun out of the fruit options for them.
I take a peeled satsuma or tangerine and cut it horizontally so it turns into two flat citrus flowers. Or I take a kiwi slice or cucumber slice and turn it into a flower by trimming little petals around the edge of the circle.
Other things that can help present fruit in different ways:
- Cookie cutters in different shapes
- Use a melon baller to cut little balls
- Slicing horizontally instead of the usual way, so e.g. an apple sliced thinly horizontally
- Making pictures out of the cut fruit if you’re really creative!
Here are some more fun fruit snack ideas for kids to inspire you:
Kid Friendly Fruit Snack Ideas
#1. Sledding Penguins Frozen Banana Snack
These sledding penguins are made from bananas dipped in melted chocolate or chocolate chips.
Stick on some edible eyes and use some M&M’s cut in half for beak and feet and freeze for at least 30 minutes. You’ll find the full instructions over at Readingconfetti.com
You May Also Enjoy 7 Fruity Valentines Treats Kids will Love
#2. Kiwi Grape Turtles
You will need:
- A kiwi
- Some grapes
What to do:
- Peel and cut your kiwi into large slices for the turtle body
- Make some small tails out of kiwi
- Keep aside some kiwi seeds for eyes
- Cut some grapes in half for feet
- Stick kiwi seed eyes on whole grapes for your turtle’s head.
- Enjoy eating your turtle!
#3. Sesame Street Fruit Fun
Make Sesame Street the focus of fruit and veggie snack time!
- Elmo is made from cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and raisins/blueberries/olives
- Big Bird from pineapple and banana
- Oscar uses broccoli, baby carrots, raisins/blueberries/olives, apple and strips of celery
- Grover is made from blueberries and blackberries
Fill two little containers per plate with hummus or yoghurt and top with a blueberry for the eyes.
You May Also Enjoy Healthy Snack Ideas So Good the Kids Will Want More!
#4. Ernie & Bert Fruit Snack
Continuing the Sesame Street theme, aren’t these Ernie and Bert fruit snacks so cute? You’ll find the instructions for how to make them at Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons.
You will need the following:
- 1 clementine
- 1 banana
- Some raisins
- 2 mini marshmallows, and
- 1 red fruit roll up.
#5. Fruity Flowers
I love this fruit flowers idea from Parents.com, they are just so pretty. You will need
- red grapes
- Flower shaped cookie cutter
You May Also Enjoy 10 Simple Smoothie Recipes For Kids
#6. Dolphin Bananas
Make bananas into dolphins by cutting a slit into the stem of the banana and popping in a small red grape into the slit. Then use a black Sharpie to make eyes on either side of the “head”.
#7. Strawberry and Watermelon “Ice Creams”
Sometimes it’s just a quick and easy presentation. Love this idea to take 3 empty ice cream cones and just use the fruit as if it was spilling out of the cones.
I’m definitely trying this for next fruit snack time, I know my daughters will love to eat their “ice creams” filled with melon and watermelon balls, pineapple chunks and strawberry slices.
Over to you now. Did you try any of these Kid Friendly Fruit Snacks? Tell us how you got on in the comments below.