Are you looking for Christmas recipes to make with the kids? These little Christmas tree cakes would make a good alternative to a traditional Christmas fruit cake. They are easy enough for older kids to make and fun for younger ones to decorate.
Adapted from Usborne Activities Christmas Cooking book
Sent in by Annette & thanks to Finnian, aged 10, for baking & decorating them!
Makes 10 trees and 16 presents
Ingredients for Sponge:
- 275g (9½ oz) self-raising flour
- 225g (8oz) soft margarine
- 4 tbsps milk
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 2/3 drops vanilla essence
- 4 medium eggs
Ingredients for Butter Icing:
- 75g (3oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- food colouring – green for the trees & others for the presents
- sweets for decorating & chocolate for the tree trunks
- Rectangular roasting/baking tin
- Greaseproof paper
- Cooking oil for wiping tin
- 1 Large & 1 small glass/mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4, before you start.
- Draw around the tin on the greaseproof paper and cut out the shape. Wipe oil inside the tin and put the paper into it and oil the paper.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the baking powder, margarine, sugar, milk and vanilla essence.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat with a fork/whisk. Add them to the flour mixture. Beat everything together well.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the top. Bake it in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- The cake should be springy when you press it. Leave the cake in the tin to cool.
- Put the butter into a bowl. Beat it with a wooden spoon until it is creamy.
- Sift in the icing sugar and stir it in, a little at a time. Then stir in the lemon juice. Put ¾ of the icing in a bowl and mix in a little green food colouring. Add more colouring a drop at a time for a stronger colour.
- Divide the rest of the icing into 3 bowls and add a drop of food colouring into each one.
- Cut a strip 7cm (3 inches) wide from one end of the cake. Cut it into 16 small squares and then cut the rest of the cake in half along its length.Cut out 10 triangles. Ice them with the green icing. Ice the presents with the other icing.
- Press sweets onto the cakes and make the tree trunks from chocolate bars.
Related : Christmas Treats : Chocolate Tree Decorations and more ideas in 15 Easy Christmas Recipes
Did you try this recipe, or do you have any further recipes for Christmas Cakes ? Please add to comment sections below.
Did you like this article? Sign up for our free newsletter (be sure to tick Food!) and join us on facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram & Pinterest