If you’re looking for a new recipe for a family meal, then this delicious recipe from Mary Berry for Mexican Tortilla Bake is easy to make and assemble – and perfect for a yummy family dinner!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
I saw this on TV recently and decided to give it a go, and it went down well with the whole family. It’s like a Mexican lasagne and you can get your kids involved with making it as it’s easy to assemble as well.
You can also assemble this dish earlier in the day, cover with tin foil and chill in fridge until you are ready to bake it.
Don’t Be Stuck For Ideas!
Download our FREE 14-day Dinner Plan and try some of our favourite family meals.
Mexican Tortilla Bake Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g/1lb 2oz beef mince
- 1 mild red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1–2 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 large tortilla wraps
- 250g/9oz full-fat mascarpone
- 100g/3½oz mozzarella, grated
- 100g/3½oz cheddar
- Add the oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the onions and fry for 3 minutes. Turn up the heat, add the mince and fry until brown, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli, red pepper, garlic and spices and fry for 5 minutes, or until all the moisture has evaporated and the mixture is quite dry. Stir in the tomato purée, mango chutney, tinned tomatoes and salt and black pepper. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and simmer for an hour.
- Stir in half the coriander. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Next take your ovenproof dish. If you have a round dish like one for making quiches that’s ideal, but if not you can use any shape just cut the tortilla in half or quarter to fit the space if not using a round one.
- Spread a third of the mascarpone onto one side of one tortilla.
- Spread a third of the cooked mince beef mixture over the bottom of the ovenproof dish and lay the mascarpone/tortilla wrap on top. Sprinkle with a third of each of the mozzarella and Cheddar cheeses. Repeat twice more so you have 3 layers ending up with the tortilla and cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden-brown and bubbling. Set aside for 5 minutes before serving and garnish with the remaining coriander.
We enjoyed ours with some guacamole on the side but you could also have a nice green salad.
You May Also Enjoy Prawn Tortillas With Chilli & Lime
Did you try this Mexican tortilla bake? Did the family enjoy it? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!