I love this Potato and Bacon Bake recipe for winter evenings when all you want is warm, comfort food. It is quick to prepare but takes about an hour and half cooking time so you can get on with other things while it bubbles away!
- 250g smoked bacon or pancetta diced ( or you could use leftover bacon)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Oil for frying
- 2 large Red Onions peeled and cut into rings
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 150ml double cream
- 150ml stock, I use chicken
- Grated cheese for topping (cheddar, gruyére, parmesan)
- Heat the oven to 200c.
- Add oil to a pan and fry the bacon / pancetta until crispy
- Butter a large oven proof dish and add a single layer of sliced potatoes, followed by a single layer of onion rings and finally sprinkle over some of the bacon / pancetta.
- Continue to layer until all the ingredients are used up. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour over the stock and the cream.
- Cover with tin foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and add grated cheese and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Check the potatoes are cooked through and serve with a green salad. Delicious!
Have you tried this dish yet or have suggestions on other ingredients? Please add to the comments box below.