Makes 8 servings
¾ cup of Almonds
¾ cup grated carrot
1 ¼ cups of sugar
3 cups of grated pumpkin
6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
½ teaspoon minced ginger root
8oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
½ teaspoon salt
(one cup = 8 ozs)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F (180C). grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Set aside a teaspoon or two of almonds or carrot for the top of the cheescake. Beat 3 of the eggs with ¾ cup of sugar. Fold in the pumpkin, carrot, flour, orange zest, ginger root and almonds. With a fork, spread this mixture in the prepared pan. Bake on a baking sheet for 40 minutes. The centre will have a custardlike consistency.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining ½ cup of sugar, the remaining 2 eggs, the sour cream and the salt.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the baked shell. Sprinkle the reserved almond or carrots or both on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or untill firm. Chill and serve with a dollop of fresh cream and sliced orange.
Recipe from ‘Treasured Country Recipes’, provided by Liz von Engelbrechten at Ballycross Apple Farm, Bridgetown, Co. Wexford who says, “Hope you enjoy it!”
Did you try this recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below.