This recipe for Real Baked Beans with Ciabatta is adapted from Good Mood Food by Donal Skehan. He suggests a simplified version of this dish by just serving the beans and tomato sauce on thick slices of toast rubbed with a little garlic.
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
Real Baked Beans with Ciabatta
- 300 g chorizo sausage, chopped into chunks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 125 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 x 400 g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread, torn into chunks
- 200 g grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, fry the chorizo until golden and set aside, retaining the rich oil. The chorizo will normally throw off enough oil in which to fry the onion, but if not, just add a drop of olive oil.
- Cook the onions over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced. Stir through the cannellini beans and the cooked chorizo. Season to taste.
- Place the torn ciabatta bread in an ovenproof dish. Spoon the beans, chorizo and sauce over the ciabatta and combine so that all the bread is evenly coated. Sprinkle over the grated mozzarella. Try to leave little peaks of the bread sticking out, as this will allow parts of the dish to become nice and crispy.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese has turned golden brown.
This recipe and others can be found on Dinnerdujour.org.
You May Also Enjoy Chicken and Chorizo Hash