Mexican food is traditionally food that is fun and easy to prepare. It’s a very sociable meal, and this Super Quick Smoky BBQ Fajitas Recipe is not only speedy to prepare for a quick family dinner but also a great way to get the kids around the kitchen table, stuffing their tortillas with the fillings of their choice.
This recipe uses Old El Paso’s ‘Stand ‘N’ Stuff’ Soft Taco Kit which has Smoky BBQ seasoning and soft flour tortillas.
- Olive oil
- 500g minced beef or diced chicken
- Smoky BBQ seasoning mix. (NB If you don’t have this, you can make a version of your own using 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1 tsp ground ginger)
- a packet of Stand ‘N’ Stuff Soft Flour Tortillas
- diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- grated cheese
- In a hot pan, add a splash of oil and start browning off your minced beef. Drain off any excess liquid and sprinkle in the seasoning mix, before adding 50ml cold water.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave it uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally from time to time.
- Take the tortillas out of their packaging and separate them. To heat with a microwave: put them on a microwaveable plate on full power for 30 seconds. To oven heat: pre-heat the oven to 165C (165C for fan assisted ovens) / Gas mark 3. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place on a baking tray in the oven for 7-9 minutes.
- Time to get the kids involved! Fill the tortillas with the meaty filling then top with freshly diced tomatoes, chopped lettuce, the salsa and grated cheese.
Over to you now. Have you tried this recipe? Tell us in the comments below.