Looking for a simple cake recipe? This vanilla cake recipe is perfect made as a tray-bake, as I can transport easily to other houses or bake sales, and then slice it into bars.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
You could of course pop some jam on top instead of icing/frosting (which I coloured using food dye) or just eat it as it is slightly warm from the oven.
It’s not a fancy recipe – it’s basically a madeira cake which I bake in a deep roasting dish (20 x 26cm). And the reason why I bake it in such a deep dish is so that I can pile it high with icing, sprinkles or whatever decoration I need – then cover the top with cling film when I’m transporting it without damaging what is inside.
You May Also Enjoy No Eggs? No Butter? This Depression Cake Is Delish
Vanilla Cake Tray Bake Recipe
- 150g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat your (fan) oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line your baking tray with greaseproof baking paper.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition to make sure they are well combined. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a tablespoon of flour.
- Pour in the vanilla extract, beat for a minute until it’s mixed into the batter. Finally, add the flour and baking powder, beat lightly until it becomes a pale, smooth mixture. Pour the cake mixture into the pre-lined baking tray, no need to smooth out the edges this will happen naturally during the baking process. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before icing and transporting.
You May Also Enjoy This Delicious Lemon and Almond Cake is a Pleasure to Share
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland.
Have your say? Is this vanilla cake recipe something your family would enjoy? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!