Homemade advent calendars are a fun way for kids to countdown to Christmas, and you can be as creative as you like in making and filling them. But instead of just filling them with chocolate (at a time of year when there is more than enough sweet treats!), consider some different ideas that are infinitely more useful – here are 24 of the Jolliest Advent Calendar Fillers That Aren’t Just Candy.
If you are looking to make your own advent calendar – here are 12 Easy Homemade Advent Calendar Ideas for Kids – the kids will enjoy helping you make the calendars and then when they are tucked up in bed, you can pop in the daily gifts.
Adding in your own treats allows you to be inventive as you like, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money either. Including cute little notes or Christmas jokes, or coupons for activities with you, will equally bring smiles of delight.
Here are some ideas to help you – 24 ideas in fact – one for every day of your calendar!
- Mini Decorations
- Pair of Christmas socks
- A Bedtime Pass
- Fridge Magnets
- Bouncy Ball
- Mini Game
- Rub on Tattoo
- Lego or Playmobil minifigure
- Novelty Key Ring
- A Visit Santa Claus Coupon (to coincide with the day you have planned a visit)
- Small plastic toy – animal/car/dinosaur/figurine
- Loom bands
- Coupon for Activity Treat – Go to Movies / 1 hr on xBox or equivalent / Go to cafe for Hot Chocolate / Have dinner out with parents / Play Christmas Games with Family
- Trading Cards
- An Eraser
- Hair accessories
- Colouring pencils / markers
- Fun stamp
- Glow sticks
- Pack of cards – here are 15 Fun Card Games for Kids
Just remember that kids will get as much fun from the small things – it is after all the thought that counts!
Over to you! Let us know your advent calendar fillers in the comments below.