Start Teaching These Good Manners for Kids
Manners about more than just saying “please” and “thank you” – although those are essential! Kids should also know how and when to interact with their peers, family and other adults.
We’ve made a list of 40 essential manners for kids to work on at home and in other situations – let us know how you get on!
General Manners in the Home
1. Say “Please” when asking
2. Say “Thank you” when receiving
3. Show respect for others and elders
4. Let others finish before you speak
5. Don’t use bad language
6. Ask permission before touching or taking things
7. Respect your own and other people’s property
8. Return things you have borrowed from others
9. Consider other people’s privacy. People need their own space but also consider their possessions.
10. Clean up after yourself. Help your family out by keeping your room, bathroom, and general areas as tidy as possible
11. Use polite phone protocol.
12. Write “thank you” notes. This is nice when you receive gifts or presents from people.
Practice Manners at Mealtimes
13. Be polite when someone serves you
14. Put away technology at mealtimes and conversations
15. Listen and don’t interrupt when people are speaking
16. Understand the silverware code! Start with the cutlery on the outside and work your way in.
17. Use a napkin and try not make a mess at mealtimes.
18. Close your mouth when eating and chewing – nobody wants to see the contents of your mouth!
19. Ask to be excused before leaving the table
20. Don’t forget to clear your plate and clean up after yourself.