As a parent of two girls, I do worry about Meningitis. Is there always a rash? How soon should I seek medical advice? If you’re not sure you know the symptoms of Meningitis, don’t miss this handy guide by age from ACT for Meningitis.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Many people have heard of the Meningitis rash and know about a ‘glass test’, but did you know that a rash only appears in approximately 50% of Meningitis cases? Familiarise yourself with all the Meningitis symptoms below, because getting medical help early can help to save a life.
You May Also Enjoy Flu or Meningitis: Would You Know The Difference?
Symptoms of Meningitis
Not all symptoms on the list below will be present, but the symptoms most concerning for Meningitis are highlighted below.
Remember, symptoms can appear in any order (or not at all) and vigilance is crucial.
Don’t Wait for the Rash…
- The rash, commonly referred to as the Meningitis rash, does not disappear when a glass is rolled over it.
- However, in many cases of Meningitis a rash may not appear at all.
- If you have any concerns or suspicions do not wait for a rash to appear.
- Most importantly, trust your instincts.
- If you think it’s serious, get medical help immediately.
ACT for Meningitis
Following the death of their 4-year-old daughter Aoibhe, Siobhan and Noel decided to set up ACT for Meningitis.
ACT stands for both the Aoibhe Carroll Trust, and also represents the three key messages Siobhan and Noel want to get across in relation to Meningitis:
- A: Ask yourself could it be Meningitis
- C: Contact your doctor; and most importantly,
- T: Trust your instincts
For further information about ACT for Meningitis visit www.actformeningitis.ie