What to Do if You Think Your Child Has Taken Poison

Jill Holtz

December 3, 2015


Like this? Share it with your network!

Like this? Share it with your network!

A parent’s worst nightmare. You come into the kitchen to discover your child eating detergent or some other product that might have poison in it. The Poisons Information Centre of Ireland tells us What to Do If You Think Your Child Has Taken Poison:

Sign up for our free newsletter packed with information and great offers. Or join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.

The signs and symptoms of poisoning can be delayed so do always seek advice, The Poisons Information Centre in Ireland can be contacted on (01) 809 2166 and you can visit www.poisons.ie.

What should you do?

  1. Stay calm but act quickly.
  2. Take the poison away from your child.
  3. If the poison was eaten, make the child spit it out, run your fingers around their mouth and flick out any remaining pieces.
  4. Never make your child vomit.
  5. If a chemical has splashed into the eyes, wash the eyes with tap water for 15 minutes.
  6. Wash any skin that was in contact with the poison using soap and water.
  7. Call the Poisons Information Centre (01) 809 2166 (8am -10pm).
  8. Always take the product container with you to the telephone or to the GP or hospital.

Recommended Reading: How to Poison Proof Your Home

At the GP or hospital be ready to answer the following questions

  1. What was taken?
  2. How much was taken?
  3. What is the child’s age and weight?
  4. Does the child have symptoms?
  5. Does the child have an existing medical problem?
  6. What time did the poisoning occur?
  7. Is there information on the container?
  8. What is the product used for?

poison centre ireland

The National Poisons Information Centre is a very useful resource if you ever need information about poisoning accidents in the home.

Phone us on 01 8092166 for fast, expert advice if you think your child has been poisoned. You can call us 7 days a week.

Follow us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/NPICDublin for regular tips on poison prevention. Questions about poisoning cannot be answered on this page, but we are always happy to answer your concerns over the phone.

Save our number now 01 8092166.



Like this? Share it with your network!

Like this? Share it with your network!

You May Also Enjoy

You’ve Got Mail!

Get our best content direct to your inbox! You’ll receive quick and easy recipes, fun ideas to entertain the kids, parenting tips, competitions, as well as offers from brands we trust.