Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Spending quality time with your children when they are young is something we all wish we could do more of. The toddler years are as exciting for parents as they are for the toddlers themselves. Getting involved together in activities means that you will both have much more fun and you will be able to form a stronger bond with them that will last into the future.
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Kerry
Soft Play Centres in Kerry
Stop by a play centre, many of them have dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy!
- Buddies Play Centre in Killarney has parent and toddler mornings every Thursday and Friday 10am-1pm (school terms)
- The Playdium in Tralee has Tiny Tots and Toddlers areas
You Might Also Enjoy Top 10 Things To Do In Kerry With Kids
Visit Kerry Libraries
Visit one of the libraries in Kerry. Listowel Library has Storytime & Crafts for young children on selected Saturdays at 11am. You can also find out other upcoming events and news here for other Kerry libraries.
The junior section of the Library is also a fun way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
You Might Also Enjoy Free Things To Do In Kerry With Kids
Parent Toddler Swimming in Kerry
It’s fun to take your toddler to the swimming pool. Some swimming pools have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children.
- Ballybunion Health and Leisure Centre has a toddler pool
- Aquadome in Tralee has some small slides in the children’s pool for wee ones
- Coral Leisure in Killarney has a toddler pool. They run Parent & Baby Swim and Parent & Toddler Swim classes on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- The Dingle Skellig Hotel offers Parent and Toddler swim classes.
Waterbabies runs baby swim classes in The Gleneagle Hotel in Killarney
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too.
Playgrounds in Kerry
Playgrounds are always a big hit with toddlers and most playgrounds around Kerry have swings and slides as well as play frames for toddlers. It’s also a perfect way for you to get out for some fresh air and hopefully meet other parents with young kids. All the running usually tires them out so they’ll be ready for a nap when you get home.
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Kerry that meet weekly. It’s a lovely way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents.
Attractions in Kerry
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some places to visit in Kerry with preschoolers:
- At Tralee Bay Wetlands Eco and Activity Park you can explore the Nature Reserve and enjoy pedalo boats on the Lake. They also have an outdoor Playground perfect for toddlers and a cafe.
- At Kerry County Museum, in Tralee, kids go free with paying adults. They have an interactive trail that takes younger visitors through the Main Gallery and Tom Crean Room following Pangur Bán, the museum’s cat mascot. Although the trail is for 5+ you can do this together with younger kids too. They run seasonal events too so check before you visit.
- Head to Kennedy’s Pet Farm near Killarney for animal fun at the pet farm as well as playgrounds.
- At Blueberry Hill Farm in Sneem, kids under 3 can enjoy the Animal Tour, a gentle, but close-up, fun experience of animals that are tame and friendly. Hand-feeding and caring for many different, cute animals, collecting eggs, and even making a floating animal candle in the end! What can be more fun?
- Do take a visit to Killarney National Park. My daughters love the gardens at Muckross House, there’s plenty of space to run around in while Mum and Dad enjoy the view over the lake. At the Muckross Traditional Farm, younger visitors can enjoy the small Farm Animal Petting Area, complete with its own bouncy castle. Then have a sheltered picnic in the Woodland Play Area, while your preschooler has fun on the wonderful slides and swings. You can also visit Ross Castle, located on the lower lake, during the summer months.
You might also enjoy All Aboard! Steam Trains and Fun Train Rides in Ireland
Events for Preschoolers in Kerry
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk (or A Toddle!)
Kerry has so many beautiful walkways and trailways that are just waiting to be explored! Check out our fantastic family walks in Kerry for inspiration and for other ideas here are 40 Family Things to Do on The Ring of Kerry and Beyond.
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
There are many blue flag beaches in Kerry and other beaches that are almost as good. Why not pack a picnic and head off to the beach and let the kids loose on the sand and enjoy exploring the rock pools?
If you have other suggestions for fun things to do with preschoolers in Kerry, please let us know in the comments box below.