We asked Mykidstime parents for suggestions for saving energy. Here are 17 Quick and Easy Tips for Energy Conservation for Your Family:
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
- Have the dishwasher/washing machine/dryer finished by 8am or start after 9 p.m. to avoid peak use.
2. Turn off all sockets and avoid leaving things on standby, such as t.v., dvd, pc/laptop.
3. Turn off phone chargers when your phone is charged.
4. Switch off lights that are not in use.
5. Use kettle/hairdryer less often. If boiling the kettle, only boil as much as you need.
You might also enjoy reading 10 Guaranteed (and Easy!) Ways to Reduce Your Energy Bills
6. Don’t stay as long in the shower. “I sometimes set my mobile phone alarm to remind me to finish after 3 minutes.”
7. Turn off outside door light when not needed.
8. Only boil the kettle for as much water as you need.
9. If using the oven, try to bake/cook a few things at once.
10. Use the hoover less often.
11. Use dryer balls in tumble dryer (or hang clothes outside to dry!).
You might also enjoy reading 30 Easy Household Tips to Save Money
12. Hoover under the fridge and around condenser coils as a build up of dust can increase electricity use.
13. Defrost your freezer every so often.
14. Avoid putting hot food straight into the fridge.
15. Descale your kettle regularly, you can use white vinegar to do this.
16. Switch to energy saving light bulbs.
17. Consider buying an energy monitoring device. “It will show you how much you use and make you more aware of when you are using energy.”
Over to you now. Any other energy conservation tips to add to our list? Tell us in the comments below.