Roald Dahl’s classic tale The BFG is one of our favourite books. If your child is a BFG fan and wants to have a themed party, then we have 15 Gloriumptious BFG Party Ideas for Kids, to ensure you have whoopsy, whiffling human beans everywhere saying scrumdiddlyumptious!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free? Please share this with your family & friends if you liked it!
The BFG is the exciting tale of a young girl named Sophie and the mysterious Giant – The BFG who introduces her to the wonders and perils of Giant Country.
#1. The BFG Party Dress Code
As Sophie was in pajamas the first time she meets the BFG you could ask all guests to come in their favourite pjs for your BFG party.
Alternatively they could all dress like the BFG in green trousers/leggings, white shirt/t-shirt and brown waistcoat or jumper.
#2. Create BFG Cut Outs
To create you very own BFG decorations or for a great BFG Party Activity, you will need:
- A roll of paper (ones used for an easel are perfect)
- A human bean
- Roll out the paper and get a human bean to lie down on it.
- Draw around their shape and cut out.
- Decorate if you wish or just leave as silhouettes and hang around the party room.
You could cut out 10 Giants and decorate them after the ones in the BFG story: Fleshumpeater, Bonecruncher, Childchewer, Bloodbottler, Gizzardgulper, Manhugger, Butcher Boy, Maidmasher, Meatdripper, The BFG.
All except the BFG wear dirty cloths around their waist, are very ugly and have long arms and big feet. The BFG wears a white shirt and brown leather waistcoat with green trousers and sandals. He has enormous ears.
This activity could also be done during the party and the kids could take them home afterwards.
#3. Make Enormous BFG Ears
Image from Hobby Craft
I love these enormous BFG Ears from Hobby Craft. Made using a metal headband, felt and glue you could either make them for each guest beforehand, or get the kids to make them as a party activity.
#4. Pin the Giant Ear on the Human Bean
You can purchase giant, plastic ears from joke shops or make your own using the directions above.
To play the game, one human bean is blindfolded and must try and pin, sorry place gently, the giant ear onto another human bean. Spin them around after blindfolding them to make it a little more fun!
#5. Make a BFG Dream Trumpet
Image from Luckeyfrog Learning
The BFG uses his giant trumpet to blow dreams into human beans and giants! Create your very own dream trumpet using:
- An long inner tube from a roll of tin foil, clingfilm or parchment paper
- Brown Tape
- Brown card
Roll the brown card into a cone shape and attach it using the tape to the end of the roll. Alternatively you could use a plastic funnel to tape to the inner tube roll but, if you have a few human beans coming to your BFG party, this could be expensive.
#6. Make BFG Dream Jars
Collect jars in the weeks leading up the party and get each child to decorate a jar and add their Phizzwizard (good dream) or Trogglehumper (nightmare) to the jar. Give them labels to summarise their dreams, like the BFG,. Backwards words and mis-spellings are a must!
Printable versions of BFG Dream Jars can be downloaded from Luckeyfrog’s Lilypad.
#6. Share a Phizzwizard or a Trogglehumper
Get everyone to sit in a circle. One human bean starts the tale with the first line of a Phizzwizard or Trogglehumper and the other human beans must add a line each.
For younger human beans they could tell the story out loud and for older human beans, you could fold paper and each one has to write a line without looking at the line before.
#7. The BFG Printables
Image from Penguin Books
#8. Giant Dress Up
Get a large suitcase and fill it with adult sized clothes. The little human beans have to see how many bits of clothing they can fit on in a minute.
Recommended Reading: 20 Fun Kids Party Games and Activities
#9. Hold a BFG Mini Quiz
Download BFG quiz questions and answers from Scholastic and check out how much the kids really know about the BFG!
#10. Create BFG Dreamcatchers
Image from Redtedart.com
As a BFG party activity get the kids to create their very own dreamcatchers. For these cute dream catchers from Redtedart.com you’ll need:
- paper plate per child
- wool or string
#11. BFG Kids Party Nibbles
For your BFG Party Food why not create miniature snacks to make your party guests feel like giants. Good miniature party snacks could include:
- Mini macaroons in different colours.
- Miniature sandwiches, make sandwiches in the usual way and use a cookie cutter to make them into tiny shapes or roll them and cut into pinwheels.
- Mini pasta, you can buy miniature pasta bows and mini fusilli usually used for soups.
- Miniature pizza, use a savoury muffin, bagel or crumpet as your mini pizza base and add tomato sauce and toppings for individual mini pizzas.
- Cake Pops could be a good alternative to a birthday cake. You could arrange them into a dream jar in the middle of the table.
- Mini sausage rolls made using cocktail sausages. I find the Clonakilty ‘Ispini’ sausages work really well for homemade sausage rolls.
- Miniature individual quiches.
- Mini burgers, create your own or buy them ready made.
- Miniature cupcakes and cookies.
- Mini marshmallows dipped in chocolate for extra decadence.
#12. BFG Snozzcumber
To recreate the Snozzcumber that Sophie hid in, you could use green jelly which has been set in a round mould. Add a plastic doll to the mix as it sets to show Sophie in hiding!
#13. The BFG Frobscottle
Image from Food in Literature
#14. BFG Cake
Image from Pinterest
Isn’t this BFG Snozzcumber Cake fabulous? Re-create it using a swiss roll recipe and pipe 2 different colours of green butter icing in lines to get the snozzcumber just right. Then create the BFG from fondant.
For more great ideas check out: 12 Brilliant Birthday Cake Ideas
#15. BFG Party Bags Ideas
Image from Pinterest
How about giving each guest their very own net to catch dreams in? Small fishing nets can be purchased in most toy stores. Other ideas could include:
- Gummy or chocolate ears.
- If you have not made a trumpet, you could include a small novelty trumpet in each party bag.
- Print out a BFG colouring sheet for each child to take home and decorate.
- A pack of giant crayons.
Recommended Reading: 60 Party Loot Bag Ideas
Do you have any other BFG Kids Party Ideas? Please share them in the comments box below.