We are always on the lookout for great craft ideas for kids to make and when I saw this balloon and button bowl, I had to try it out for myself. You only need a few materials and some patience. Check out the results below.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free? Please share this with your family & friends if you liked it!
Materials needed for this button craft idea for kids
- A balloon (inflated)
- Flat Buttons
- PVA Craft Glue
- Glitter glue (optional)
It is also a good idea to have some newspaper and a jug or cup that will hold your balloon steady while you do the craft.
How to make your button bowl
- Blow up your balloon and tie the top.
- Place it knot side down in a jug or glass to keep it steady.
- Add the first coat of glue roughly covering the size you want your bowl to be (if using glitter or glitter glue, mix this in with your regular PVA craft glue for this coat) and leave to dry fully.
- Don’t worry about drips, you can remove these when you pop the balloon!
- Add a 2nd coat of PVA glue and leave to dry.
- Paint on a 3rd coat and add the buttons, starting in the centre of the top of the balloon. Leave to dry.
- Once dry, paint over the buttons with the PVA glue and leave this coat to dry also.
- When it has fully dried, cut the knot at the top of the balloon to allow the air to escape slowly.
- And you will be left with a beautiful button bowl.
- You can trim away the excess balloon to make it neat and tidy.
Other fun craft ideas for kids using a balloon
If you don’t wish to use buttons you can mix glitter or glitter glue in with your regular glue before painting the balloon. Do 3 coats and let the glue dry between each one. Once it has fully dried, pop your balloon and you should be left with a glitter bowl.
Or you when you coat your balloon for the 3rd time cover it with confetti, flat silver, gold or coloured discs or add pieces of string in a fun design. Once they have dried onto the surface, add a final coat of glue over the top to give your creation extra protection. When you pop the balloon, you should be left with a pretty bowl.
Have you tried any of these craft ideas for kids? Please let us know how you got on in the comments box below.