Children just love to go on a picnic don’t they? Here’s my top ten places around Sligo & Leitrim that I think are just great for a picnic. Parks are good and forests, even playgrounds with a bit of grass can serve as a good picnic spot (provided the weather stays dry!). Take a look at our Summer Picnic Recipes for some inspiration for different picnic foods and pack up the picnic basket to head out for some fresh air and outdoor fun!
- Hazelwood – Settle at Half Moon Bay, then go for a walk round the trails to burn off the cakes!
- Mullaghmore – Fabulous expanse of beach. On a sunny day or not!
- Fowleys Falls – a little hidden gem in North Leitrim
- Gleniff Horseshoe Millsite – Explore the millsite and nature trails, then drive round the horseshoe. Look out for the magic hill too!
- Enniscrone – another fabulous beach.
- Glencar Waterfall – lovely setting and one to get a picture of!
- The Organic Centre – Where you may learn something too! A really interesting spot
- Parkes Castle/Lough Gill – Another amazing setting, and hopefully the castle is open too for a walk around!
- Lough Key Forest Park – So much to do for all ages!
- Derrycarne Wood – About 3.5km north of Dromod is Derrycarne Wood, where there are lovely nature trails and picnic areas.