Finding things to do with children before they start school can be difficult, or if you are new to an area. So we have put together some suggestions of fun Things To Do In Westmeath With Preschoolers.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The handy thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Westmeath, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Westmeath
Soft Play Centres in Westmeath
Stop by a play centre, many of them have dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy!
- Kidz & Co in Mullingar has soft play
- Rock n Bowl in Mullingar has a jungle-themed play area with separate spaces for toddlers up to 2 years, and for kids 3-5 years.
- Jump4Joy Adventure Centre in Athlone has a Toddler’s Den with Toddler Slide
- Planet Entertainment in Athlone has soft play with a section for under 5’s.
You Might Also Enjoy Top 10 Things To Do In Westmeath With Kids
Visit Westmeath Libraries
Visit one of the 7 libraries in Westmeath. Athlone Library hosts a weekly event called Me & My Library on Tuesdays 5-6pm for families with children of all abilities. You can also find out other upcoming events and news here for other Westmeath libraries.
The junior section of the Library is also a fun way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
You Might Also Enjoy Free Things To Do In Westmeath With Kids
Parent Toddler Swimming in Westmeath
It’s fun to take your toddler to the swimming pool. Some swimming pools have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children.
- Mullingar Swimming Pool has Parent and Toddler swim classes
- There are Aqua Baby and Aqua Tots classes at the pool in Athlone Regional Sports Centre
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too.
Gymboree run music and play classes for toddlers in Athlone and Mullingar.
Playgrounds in Westmeath
Playgrounds are always a big hit with toddlers and most playgrounds around Westmeath have swings and slides as well as play frames for toddlers. It’s also a perfect way for you to get our for some fresh air and hopefully meet other parents with young kids. All the running usually tires them out so they’ll be ready for a nap when you get home. Here are a couple of our favourites:
- Mullingar Town Park is a public park, located in Bellview in the town centre. It has a variety of different playgrounds, a large pond near the centre, a swimming pool, a glider, swings and enclosed children’s area.
- The playground at Coosan Point near Athlone town is a great place to let the little ones let off some steam if you’ve been in the shops. It’s always hard to choose between feeding the ducks and going on the swings at Coosan Point Playground! It’s also a lovely picnic spot to stop for lunch if the weather is nice.
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Westmeath that meet weekly. It’s a lovely way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents.
Attractions in Westmeath
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some places to visit in Westmeath with preschoolers:
- Belvedere House Gardens and Park on the shores of Lough Ennell, Mullingar, has acres of parkland on the lake shore. Enjoy walks, for example, the beautiful Parkland walk as well as the walled and fairy gardens. Belvedere has 4 play areas for children. They run seasonal events so check before you visit.
- Glendeer Pet Farm in Curryroe, Athlone is an award winning 12 acre open farm with over 50 species of domestic & exotic animals & birds. It is an unforgettable, interactive experience where you can pet and even hold the baby animals!
- Tullynally Castle & Gardens just outside Castlepollard has some lovely gardens and a really nice cafe. You can take the main path to the beautiful flower garden and the kids will love to visit the llamas. There is a special Tree Trail to follow and an exciting Treasure Trail to explore. There is a tearoom in the courtyard for afterwards. There is an admission fee but children under 3 go free.
- The Amenity & Heritage Park at Dún na Sí is a fantastic place to take preschoolers! They can meet the ancient Irish warrior Lugh who with his magic spear, stands guard over Dún na Sí. Then enjoy ambling through the parklands and a wetland reserve, discovering art installations throughout the park. A fully equipped children’s playground is situated next to the Catoca Café which serves coffee and lunch.
You might also enjoy All Aboard! Steam Trains and Fun Train Rides in Ireland
Events for Preschoolers in Westmeath
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk (or A Toddle!)
In Westmeath there are some really nice places for walks in woodland or parks, it’s fun for your preschooler to run, collect leaves, stones and play hide and seek. Check out our 10 Great Family Walks in Westmeath for inspiration.
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.