Visit the Library! Lots of the libraries host weekly story time and/or a parent and toddler group. The junior section of the Library is a great way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books, also your pre-schooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow. Check out your local library to see upcoming events and news.
Go swimming! We have a couple of swimming pools near us which have dedicated times for Parent and toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children. Check our list of Galway swimming pools.
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out our classes section for little people, its never to early to pick up a hobby!
Visit one of the play centres in Galway, with dedicated soft play areas for pre schoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy! Check out our Play Centres listings.
Visit the playground! We have some excellent playgrounds in Galway and most of them have dedicated sections for smaller children.
Small Children & Bigger ones too, all love Pet Farms and we have a few to chose from in Galway.
Join a local Parent & Toddler group. There are many local groups throughout Galway that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a great way of young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents! Weekend groups are also becoming more popular for parents who work full time.
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
In Galway there are many beaches close at hand, its great fun to dig, run, collect shells and generally mess about on the beach here are our favourite beaches.
Some places preschoolers love to visit are:
- Atlantaquaria, Galway’s national aquarium is a great place to take preschoolers, they love looking at all the fish, going in the mini-submarine, getting to hold starfish in the touchpools. Bonuses are baby changing facilities, great café Arabica and playpark nearby, as well as all day tickets which mean you can come in and out if you need to.
Preschoolers love to explore outdoors, why not visit:
- Coole Park, near Gort. There are several walks through the forest, including the family walk which takes you past the Coole river (see if you can spot Yeats’ swans), a walled garden with sundial, The Autograph tree, picnic area, and plenty of grass to run about and play on. Also, check out the deer in the paddock up from the café at the stable area. Toilets at the beginning of the forest walk.
- Barna Woods is a great place for a woodland walk with bridges and streams to explore.
- Brigit’s Garden is just outside the city and offers a wonderland for children and adults to explore and enjoy.
- Or simply enjoy one of the many Family Walks in Galway.
And here we also have some ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
Do you have any other ideas for Things to Do With Preschoolers in Galway? Let us know in the comments box below.