Are you parent to a toddler looking for ideas? Whether you are visiting Kildare or live here, finding ideas for things to do with your smallies can be tricky sometimes. So we have put together some suggestions of Things To Do With Preschoolers in Kildare.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The great thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Kildare, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Kildare
Soft Play Centres in Kildare
Stop by one of the play centres in Kildare, they usually have dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, and it’s a good way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy.
Here are some soft play places in Kildare:
- Fun Factory, at the M7 Business Park in Naas, offers lots of fun play spaces and activities for preschoolers.
- Jungle Den Monread Road, Naas (opposite Smyths Toys) offers different activities for parents and toddlers on week day mornings including Story Time, Play Doh, classes and Art & Crafts.
- The Playbarn in Johnstown, Naas has a dedicated under 2s space
- Joey’s Play Centre and Café on the 1st floor, Naas Town Centre has small play-area suited for 0-6yrs, and can easily see your little ones play, as you relax on the couches and enjoy a cuppa.
- Celbridge Playzone runs Parent and Toddler activities Monday-Friday between 10am and 1pm, with Play-Doh time, sensory play, character visits, arts and crafts and story time.
- Tricky Trickster’s Magic Castle in Naas offers fun play for 6 months up.
Storytime in Kildare Libraries
Visit one of the many great libraries in Kildare. Many libraries host a weekly story time and/or a parent and toddler group. Leixlip Library has a Monthly Storytime with Niamh while Newbridge Library has stories, rhymes and songs on Wednesday mornings at 10 -10.30am for children under 5s. Check out your local Kildare library to see upcoming events and news.
The junior section of the Library is also a fun way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
Parent Toddler Swimming in Kildare
Go swimming! Many swimming pools in Kildare have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children.
Children under 3 swim for free at the K-Leisure pools in Naas and Athy. The Naas venue also has a great kiddies pool. You can also pay as you go at The Gables swimming pool in Newbridge.
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too.
Gymboree offer music play classes for toddlers at various locations in Kildare.
Playgrounds in Kildare
Visit the playground! Here are playgrounds in Kildare. Several of the playgrounds in Kildare have dedicated sections for smaller children. Here are some of our favourites to go to:
- Kildare Town Playground – this playground on Station Road has a variety of play facilities for children of all ages including children with disabilities. There is seating and ample car parking(paid) available.
- The Maynooth playground at Harbour Field has a junior multi play unit. As it is situated close to the train station, the free car park can often fill up with commuters cars but there is seating and car parking available at Glenroyal Centre and you can even feed the ducks nearby.
- The Kilcullen playground beside Kilcullen Community Centre has lots of play equipment for smallies and a fabulous sand/water play area (A change of clothes/wellies might be worth bringing).
- Clane Playground – This modern playground beside Aldi in Clane has 2 designated play-areas for toddler and younger children, and one for older children. The toddler area features a fab pirate boat along with all the usual equipment.
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Kildare that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a lovely way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents.
Attractions in Kildare
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some of places to visit in Kildare with preschoolers:
- Irish National Stud and Gardens is a lovely place to bring your preschooler, they have beautiful Japanese Gardens and St Fiachra’s Garden. Explore the magical ‘fairy trail’ in the woodland area, and afterwards let the kids run off some steam at their fabulous playground. And check out their summer fun events which include free pony rides on select days.
- Clonfert Pet Farm, Maynooth is perfect for preschoolers. As well as petting animals, they have an indoor play area too, and a Parent & Toddler group.
- Donadea Forest Park is a great place to take young kids, there are lots of walks and interesting historical features including the remains of a castle and walled garden. There is also a lake with ducks and other birds, and a wonderful display of water-lilies in the summer. The small café is open all year round and there are picnic benches throughout the park. Note: €4 exact change required for car park.
- Lullymore Heritage Park has lots of fun activities for preschoolers including indoor and outdoor playgrounds, a pet farm, a fairy bower and more.
Events for Preschoolers in Kildare
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children in the city’s galleries, museums, parks and more.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk
Many of the walks in Kildare are perfect for preschoolers, to run, collect leaves, stones, etc. and play hide and seek. Pop on the wellies, and head to the Curragh plains with a truck or football, but just beware of the sheep droppings!
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
Over to you now. If you have other suggestions for fun things to do with preschoolers in Kildare please let us know in the comments box below.