Finding things to do with children before they start school can be difficult, or if you are new to an area. So we have put together some suggestions of things to do with Pre-Schoolers in Laois.
- Visit the Library! Lots of the libraries host weekly story time and/or a parent and toddler group. The junior section of the Library is a great way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books, also your pre-schooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow. Check out your local library to see upcoming events and news.
- Go swimming! We have a couple of swimming pools near us which have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children. Check our list of Laois swimming pools.
- Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, gymnastics, swimming or football! Check out our list for little people, its never too early to pick up a hobby!
- Visit one of the play centres in Laois, with dedicated soft play areas for pre schoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy! Check out our Play Centres listings.
- Visit the playground! We have some excellent playgrounds in Laois and most of them have dedicated sections for smaller children.
- Join a local Parent & Toddler group. There are many local groups throughout Laois that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a great way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents! Weekend groups are also becoming more popular for parents who work full time.
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
- In Laois there are many woodland and park walks close at hand, its great fun to run, collect leaves, stones and play hide and seek. Let us know your favourites.
Preschoolers love to explore outdoors, why not visit:
- Emo Court, Park, Gardens and Tearooms is a great place to take preschoolers. There is acres of space to run around, swans, “ugly ducklings”, and ducks to see. The tearooms adjoin a walled area so there is a safe place to run around while you enjoy a “cuppa” with friends.
And here we also have some ideas in our Things to Do Section for entertaining preschoolers at home.
If you have any suggestions on Things To Do With Preschoolers in Laois, please share them in the comments box below.