Are you parent to a toddler? Whether you live in Leitrim or are just visiting, finding things to do with children before they start school can be difficult, or if you are new to an area. So we have put together some suggestions of Things To Do with Preschoolers in Leitrim.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The nice thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Leitrim, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Leitrim
Soft Play Centres in Leitrim
Stop by one of the play centres in Leitrim, with dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, this is a great way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy!
Here are some soft play places in Leitrim:
- Kidz Kingdom in Carrick-upon-Shannon has a soft play centre with different slide and ball pools for kids to explore and have fun. They also have Saturday Clubs with different activities for ages 4+
- Fenagh Visitor Centre has an indoor soft play area with segregated toddler area.
- Jump Street in Carrick-upon-Shannon has a soft play area for babies and toddlers under 5. Toddler Times are Monday – Friday: 12pm – 1pm and Saturday – Sunday: 11am – 12pm. Child and Parent/Guardian need to have safety socks.
You Might Also Enjoy Top 10 Things To Do In Leitrim With Kids
Visit Leitrim Libraries
The junior section of the Library is also a fun way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
You Might Also Enjoy Free Things To Do In Leitrim With Kids
Parent Toddler Swimming in Leitrim
Go swimming! Some swimming pools in Leitrim have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children.
- Aura Leisure in Carrick-on-Shannon has a learner pool and has Swim Baby sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 11:00-11:30am
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too.
Playgrounds in Leitrim
Visit the playground! Several of the playgrounds in Leitrim have dedicated sections for smaller children. Why not pick a different playground that you don’t usually visit to go to each week or month?
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Leitrim that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a lovely way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents.
Attractions in Leitrim
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some places to visit in Leitrim with preschoolers:
- Acres Lake Floating Boardwalk at Drumshanbo is Ireland’s first-ever “floating walkway”, it runs 160m out over the Shannon. If you bring swimming gear, there’s also Drumshanbo Outdoor Swimming Pool, a heated pool with shallow end open during summer months. Acres Lake also has an interactive Visitor Centre and a kids playground.
- Fowleys Falls in Rossinver has a trail that is perfect for preschoolers. The Trail goes very close to the river and Falls and has picnic tables at one end, perfect for a break too. It’s a real hidden gem and an easy walk for younger kids.
- At The Organic Centre situated on the south western shores of Lough Melvin you can explore their gardens, follow the butterfly trail or take a bug hunt adventure. There’s a small playground & picnic area and an eco-park with 17 acres of woodlands walks. Entrance fee for the gardens is €4 and concession is €2, children are free.
- For your train-mad preschooler, the Cavan and Leitrim Railway museum is located beside the Irish Rail station in Dromod on the grounds of the old Cavan and Leitrim Railway yard.
You might also enjoy All Aboard! Steam Trains and Fun Train Rides in Ireland
Events for Preschoolers in Leitrim
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk
There are many lovely places for a walk in Leitrim – perfect for preschoolers to run, collect leaves, stones, etc. and play hide and seek.
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
If you have other suggestions for fun things to do with preschoolers in Leitrim, please let us know in the comments box below.