Does your child or teen have access to a smartphone or tablet? Do they spend time playing games and messaging friends? How about breaking out their creative side and encouraging them to produce their very own Stop Motion Animated movie? Stop Motion Animation is not a new concept but today’s technology makes it accessible to all. Here is our Handy Guide to Stop Motion Animation for Parents and their children.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
What is Stop Motion Animation?
Stop Motion Animation is the process of photographing objects one frame at time while moving them marginally between each frame. By loading them onto a Stop Motion App, the frames you capture can be played back in sequence to create the illusion of movement. Stop Motion apps enable you to speed up or slow down the frames and most offer extra effects to enhance the movie.
Stop Motion Animation has been around for over a century. It is used to create animation effects on advertisements, television shows, music videos and in films.
Stop motion can be used to animate inanimate objects, drawings and animate objects (if you can get them to stay still for long enough!). A classic example of stop motion animation is the mannequin challenge which both adults and kids embraced and took part in.
Apps to Create Stop Motion Animation Movies
We have done some research on the best Stop Motion Animation Apps currently available for both Android and iOs (Apple). Before downloading any apps
- check that they are compatible with your device
- check what comes with the free versions
- check if there is in-app purchasing and parental controls.
And have a chat with your child about how and who they share their creations with.
#1. I Can Animate
Create stunning and exciting animation movies quickly and easily. With I Can Animate you can bring the art of creating stop-frame animations to your iOS devices and then share them for all to see.
I Can Animate has some really great features:
- Capture frames using either camera on your iOS device
- Displays onion skinning, so you can easily see the differences between frames you are capturing.
- Preview captured frames in the scrollable timeline.
- Adjust exposure, white balance and focus automatically or manually lock the settings.
- Duplicate & Reorder frames
- Review last five frames and preview whole project
- Undo support
- Capture automatically using the inbuilt time lapse feature
- Standard & Widescreen display
- Change playback speed
- Connect a bluetooth keyboard and capture frames without returning to or tapping the device (iOS7+)
- Share movies.
Cost: €2.99 / £2.29 / $2.99
Clayframes is easy to use and has a good set of professional features for making stop-frame animation (or claymation) and time-lapse movies.
Clayframes Lite is the free trial version, it’s worth trying this out before you buy the full version to confirm it is compatible with your Android device.
Clayframes includes these features:
- Mp4 video exporter for Android 4.3 and higher. Plays with built-in Android player.
- AVI video exporter and player.
- Onion-skinning (transparent overlay) for smooth movement. Align the current shot with the previous one.
- Preview Loop: Review your movie as you shoot it! Make fast progress without stopping to review.
- Trigger camera shutter remotely using a hand clap or the phones proximity sensor. Avoids camera shake.
- Timed shutter release option for time-lapse movies. Any interval from 1 second to 1 hour.
- Add audio using the microphone on your device. Record your own vocals, effects or soundtrack.
Cost: €2.39 / £1.99 / $2.39