I don’t know about you but weekdays can be a bit time-squeezed so I was curious when I first came across the idea of a freezer dump meal. This is a meal that you can prep in advance, put in the freezer, and then use your slow cooker or crockpot to make them on the day you need. So I’ve picked out some delicious recipes that I’ll definitely be trying for the family, here are 15 Tasty Freezer Dump Meals Guaranteed to Save You Time:
Tips for prepping your freezer meal
- Use ziploc bags (buy better quality ones so that they don’t burst in your freezer) and add the key ingredients to your bag.
- Label each bag with the name of the meal. You might also want to add cooking time and anything that you need to remind yourself to add like stock or liquid.
- If you subscribe to the NewLeaf mailing list they give you free printable labels that you can use for your bags. It’s a blog with ebooks and recipes all about freezing and using your slow cooker so well worth checking out.
- You can freeze them flat or upright depending on your freezer space.
- Remove as much air as you can from the bags before freezing as the air in the bags will cause freezer burn.
- Thaw the bag in the fridge overnight before you put the ingredients into the slow cooker.
#1. Lemon Garlic Chicken
I make this all the time, I got the idea from Nigella Lawson, who I first saw adding ingredients and her chicken fillets to a freezer bag. The trick here is that as you thaw the bag out, the lemon juice tenderizes the chicken and whatever flavourings you have used act as a marinade. I usually use lemon juice with crushed garlic for my flavouring but you could experiment with lots of different things.
- 1 chicken fillet per person
- 1-2 cloves crushed or finely chopped garlic
- Juice of 1-2 lemons depending on number of fillets, I usually use 1/2 lemon per fillet that I’m using
- Glug of olive oil
- You can also add chopped herbs such as thyme, rosemary or parsley
- Shake your bag ingredients well before freezing.
- Thaw overnight before baking/grilling/slow cooking (low for 6 to 8 hours).
#2. Turkey Chili
This Turkey Chili Crock Pot recipe from mum and coach Kelsey Shackley is great for your slow cooker and uses turkey mince instead of beef mince as a lighter alternative.
You can also make it ahead of time and freeze, or put the ingredients into your freezer bag ready for a dump meal later.
Image credit Kelsey Shackley
#3. Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Make slow cooker chicken fajitas like these ones from Kitchenstewardship.com and everyone can enjoy assembling theirs at the table.
This video demonstrates how quickly you can assemble a double batch of Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup plus two double batches of Slow Cooker Chicken Veggie Curry (one for the freezer, one for dinner) as well as the Fajitas.
#4. Country Style BBQ Ribs
This recipe for country style BBQ ribs from Happymoneysaver.com uses apple sauce as a delicious ingredient and is hearty, delicious, and full of flavour.
Image credit Happymoneysaver.com
#5. Mushroom Barley Stew
Go meat-free one day with this delicious Mushroom Barley Stew from Helloglow which can be served with hot crusty bread or rolls
Image credit Helloglow