This Chickpea Sweet Potato and Chorizo Stew is really easy to throw together, makes a perfect mid-week dinner and I guarantee it’s yummy!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
This chickpea stew recipe is adapted from Domini Kemp’s recipe. It’s become one that I make regularly for my family and they all like it. I usually make a bit extra so that I have leftovers for lunches.
Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Chorizo Stew
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 or 2 chorizo sausages, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 or 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- a few handfuls of baby spinach
- handful of coriander, chopped (optional)
- crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot and fry the onion along with the cumin and coriander seeds for a few minutes.
- Add the chorizo and let it cook and start to brown at the edges for a good 5 minutes. (If it looks like too much oil has been released from the chorizo, strain the onions and chorizo with a slotted spoon, drain the oil, then return the onions and chorizo back to the pan.)
- Add the tomato puree, canned tomatoes, sugar and chickpeas. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and simmer for a further 20 minutes or so, or until they’re fork tender.
- Add in the spinach and stir until it wilts.
- Serve in bowls along the fresh coriander sprinkled on top and crusty bread on the side.
You May Also Enjoy Chorizo Chicken Bean Stew
Have your say! Have you tried this Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Chorizo stew yet? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!