Is macaroni cheese a firm favourite with your kids? My crew love it, but I like to go a healthier route with it and make the sauce myself. Homemade macaroni also tastes so much better than the packaged versions.
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
The sauce is one you’ll be able to master in no time and it’s bursting with cheesy goodness. Don’t be surprised if your kids are asking for another helping of this homemade macaroni, it definitely tastes like more!
You May Also Enjoy This Tried and Tested Sausage Pasta Recipe Is Delish
Creamy and Rich Homemade Macaroni Cheese Your Kids Will Love
- 8 ozs of macaroni pasta
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup and 1 tsp butter
- 2 and a 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- One pinch of paprika
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions and drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in enough flour to make a roux.
- Add milk to the roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick.
- Put the macaroni in a large casserole dish, and pour the sauce over macaroni, give it a good stir.
- Melt the tsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until they are browning nicely.
- Spread them over the macaroni and cheese to cover.
- Finish by adding a pinch of paprika.
- Bake at 175C / 350F for 30 minutes.
You May Also Enjoy 10 Tempting Vegetarian Pasta Recipes Perfect for Family Dinner
Have your say! Do your kids love macaroni cheese? Are you going to try this out for dinner time? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!