Are you looking for new easy fish recipes that the kids will also enjoy? Get them to help with this fun little fishy salmon nuggets recipe, they’ll also enjoy decorating their plates ready for the fish!
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
My kids always love making homemade fish fingers, it’s the dipping and messy fingers feeling, I think, but also the satisfaction of eating something they literally had a hand in making. Try these little fishy salmon nuggets for a change from white fish.
You May Also Enjoy This Kid-Friendly Fish Pie is Tasty Enough for the Whole Family to Enjoy
Salmon Nuggets Recipe
Makes 10 nuggets
- 2 Donegal Catch Salmon Fillets (defrosted)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, crushed)
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp + 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 100g fine breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp rapeseed oil for frying
To decorate for each serving (per child):
- 90g peas & sweetcorn, cooked
- 2 long stem broccoli, steamed
- 4 chives
- Slices of spring onion and poppy seeds for eyes
- Remove the skin from the salmon, then place the fillets into a food processor along with the lemon juice, thyme leaves, garlic powder and egg. Whizz up until the mixture is really smooth.
- Using a spoon, add in the flour and stir until the salmon starts to resemble a sticky dough.
- To make into fish shapes, add 2 tablespoons of flour onto a plate, then rub your hands with flour to prevent the dough from sticking to them.
- Take a tablespoon of the fish mixture and roll into a circle on the plate completely coating it in flour, press down to flatten, then using your finger shape the end into a fish tail. Repeat until the fish mixture is completely used up.
- Use a pastry brush to coat the fish pieces with egg, then sprinkle over the breadcrumbs. Then flip them over, coat the opposite side with egg and add breadcrumbs.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a pan and fry both sides of the nuggets until golden brown.
- To make up your fishy plate, decorate the plate with broccoli, add the peas and sweetcorn to the bottom and a few chives. Place the fishy nuggets “in the water” then add a slice of spring onion and poppy seed for eyes.
With thanks to Donegal Catch for this recipe. They are encouraging Irish households across the country to eat more fish by sharing some easy and tasty recipes at DonegalCatch.ie for all the family to enjoy.
You May Also Enjoy Homemade Fish Goujons with Sweet Potato Wedges
Have your say! Have you tried making these salmon nuggets? How did you get on? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!