Gingerbread men are fun to make, decorate and eat – and they make the house smell deliciously Christmassy too, so there’s no excuse not to have a go! Here is a very easy Gingerbread Man Recipe that you will enjoy making with your kids!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers.
PS Did we mention it’s free?
Recipe makes 8-10 men
- 250g / 8oz Plain Flour
- 75g / 3oz Butter, softened
- 75g / 3oz Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 50g / 2oz Golden Syrup
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add bicarbonate of soda, golden syrup and egg yolk and stir well.
- Sift the flour and spices into the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Shape into a ball and knead lightly on a work surface until smooth.
- Wrap the ball in clingfilm and chill for 1/2 hour.
- Flour your rolling out surface and roll out dough to e.g. 5mm in thickness and then use gingerbread cutters to cut out shapes.
- Place on greased baking sheets, leaving a space between each. If you intend to hang them on your Christmas tree make a hole at the top. A plastic drinking straw is perfect for making the hole.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for about 10-12 minutes until they have turned golden brown. They should still feel slightly soft.
- Transfer to a wire tray to cool.
Decorating the Gingerbread Men
- Use a man shaped cutter, writing icing, small sweets, chocolate chips, glace cherries – whatever you have in your cupboard.
- When your gingerbread men are completely cool, decorate the biscuits with icing and the other bits (the icing will work as glue).
- Thread through some cord or ribbon through the holes and knot if you want to hang your gingerbread men on the tree!
Over to you now! If you have tried this gingerbread man recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below