Does your family like pizza? We have a great idea for a family gardening project that we’re sure will be popular – read on to find out how to grow your own pizza garden, full of all your favourite toppings!
Don’t miss the chance to have your say! We’re looking for parents to get involved and give their feedback on all aspects of family life. Find out more here.
Even though it may not feel like it yet due to the unpredictable nature of the weather here in Ireland, but Spring is well and truly underway! There is a definite stretch in the evenings and it is getting longer with each passing week.
This is a time of year when a lot of people are busy setting out their gardens and vegetable patches for the planting season. There is a lot of work to be done in preparing your garden, but it is an activity that your whole family can get involved in and it’s a great way for kids to learn about how things grow. And what could be better than growing your own pizza ingredients!
You May Also Enjoy All You Need To Know About How To Grow Garlic
How to Grow Your Own Pizza Garden
Many people get stuck when deciding what to grow. You can start off small by setting a small herb garden on a windowsill using some pots, soil and some herb seeds such as basil, thyme, dill or even rosemary. These are fairly straightforward to grow – just follow the instructions on the seed packet and you will be enjoying homegrown herbs in no time.
Grow Some Easy Pizza Ingredients
If you are not sure what to plant in your garden, think about what foods your family like to eat most and try and grow some of the ingredients in those foods. If, like mine, they enjoy pizza night, then a pizza garden is in order!
Most kids enjoy eating what they have grown (even if they profess to hating the particular item) – it just seems to make a difference somehow!
What You’ll Need to Grow Your Own Pizza Garden
- A circular raised bed that is about 4 ft in diameter, or put an old children’s pool/plastic sand pit to good use and use it as your garden. It is an easy way for your kids to identify their garden and what they need to look after.
- Planting soil and a little compost if you have a compost bin, if not you can always use some fertiliser.
- Your plants: the herbs mentioned above will grow here as well as indoors, but you could also try growing some tomatoes, onions, peppers, chili, spring onions, spinach or whatever toppings you like on your pizzas.
Time to Grow
- Fill your “garden” with some soil and add the compost/fertiliser. Be sure to mix thoroughly. Get the children to rake it over with their trowels.
- Plant your seeds according to the instructions on the packet.
- The final step is to water.
Over the coming days and weeks, get the kids to check if the plants have grown and then to keep the soil moist by watering and checking for weeds regularly.
Before you know it, your family will be enjoying homegrown herbs and vegetables from very little effort – and they will definitely taste the difference!
You May Also Enjoy Make Your Own Pizza With the Kids Using Our Quick Pizza Dough Recipe
Have you tried to grow your own pizza garden? Did it make your pizza taste even better?! Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!