Yeast dough pizza bases are the best, but sometimes you just want to create a quick pizza base that will be on the table in under an hour. Follow this simple, quick pizza dough recipe and add your favourite pizza topping for a great store cupboard dinner.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
- 8oz (225g) / 1 cup Self raising white flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g (1.5ozs) aoprox quarter of a cup cold butter or margarine
- 150ml (5 fl oz) approx half a cup skimmed milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/356F/gas mark 5
- Add flour, salt and baking powder to a bowl.
- Rub in the butter or margarine until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Bring together with the milk.
- Roll out on a floured surface. Place rolled dough on a baking sheet and blind bake at 180C or 356F / gas mark 5 for approx 10 minutes, depending on thickness. Don’t let it brown as it will be going back into the oven with the toppings.
- Add your tomato sauce (see below for a quick homemade tomato sauce recipe), toppings and cheese to your part cooked base and return to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
If you have more time check out our yeast base recipe.
Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
While your base is blind baking you can make a simple homemade tomato sauce by frying some finely chopped onions, a clove of crushed garlic and mixed herbs in a little olive oil. Once softened pour in a bottle of passata / tin of sieved tomatoes and a pinch of salt and sugar and cook over a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
If you are trying to sneak some more vegetables into the kids, you can also add finely diced carrot and courgette along with the onions and once your sauce has thickened, blend with a hand held blender.
Top Tip: Make your tomato sauce in a large frying pan to help it thicken more quickly.
Pizza Topping Ideas
Ham, mushrooms, sweetcorn, olives, pepperoni or cooked sausage, cooked chicken, peppers, grated cheese, mozzarella, goats cheese, pineapple and how about some chocolate spread and marshmallows for a dessert pizza.
Do you have any great pizza recipes ? Please let us know in comments below.