I was looking for some new recipes for family dinners and I came across the Good Food app so I thought I would download and try it. This recipe for Jumbo Sausage Roll with Spicy Beans was one of the first I tried, and it was a hit with the family!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Looking for family dinner ideas is a constant task, but sometimes googling just ends up being overwhelming, which recipe is good, which one is worth trying, which one sucks.
One of the first recipes I tried was this recipe for Jumbo Sausage Roll with Spicy Beans. It’s really a complete cheat-recipe but who cares, the end result was delicious and it got a big thumbs up from my kids and husband.
Jumbo Sausage Roll with Spicy Beans
- 400g sausagemeat, or a pack of 8 sausages
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 300g jar hot salsa dip
- 1 egg, beaten
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 3 x 400g cans cannellini or haricot beans (or a mixture), drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 chilli, thinly sliced (deseeded if you don’t like it too hot)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment or foil.
- Remove the sausages from their skins and mix together the sausagemeat, herbs, half the jar of salsa and half of the egg until well combined.
- Unroll the pastry sheet on your baking tray. Pile the sausage mixture along the longer side of one half of the the pastry leaving a gap of 4 cm around the edge.
- Brush a little of the egg around the edges, then fold the pastry over the filling. Press the edges together with a fork and score a few air holes through the top with a knife (to let steam escape). Brush with the remaining egg and bake for 40 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the beans, tomatoes, rest of the jar of salsa, salt & pepper into a saucepan and cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 mins or until the sauce is thick and clings to the beans.
- If your gang don’t like spicy then leave out the chilli.
- Serve the sausage roll sliced with beans and some steamed/sauteed greens e.g. kale or spinach, or green peas would work.
You might also enjoy 9 Sizzling Sausage Recipes The Whole Family Will Enjoy
Over to you now. Have you tried this recipe for Jumbo Sausage Roll? What did you think? Tell us in the comments below.