Sausages are not just for breakfast, they are a versatile ingredient that you can use to rustle up a great meal any time of day. We have teamed up with Clonakilty Sausages to bring you 9 Sizzling Sausage Recipes the Whole Family Will Enjoy – from family dinners to snacks and suppers we’ve got you covered.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
#1. Toad in the Hole
Toad in the Hole is a family favourite in our house. It is extra scrumptious when made with Clonakilty Ispíní Sausages and Clonakilty Slisíní Rashers. This recipe for an easy family dinner can be prepared in a few quick steps and includes instructions for a good home made onion gravy, so do give this classic a try.
Add broccoli, peas, sweetcorn or a fresh side salad to make a tasty family meal that everyone will enjoy.
#2. Sausage Pasta
This tried and tested recipe for Sausage Pasta combines butter beans and tomatoes with sausages and pasta with a surprise ingredient, apple! In our house, it’s one that is guaranteed to have clean plates all around.
#3. Sausage Tabbouleh
If you’re not familiar with Tabbouleh, it is a stable Lebanese dish. For a delicious family dinner idea for warmer days combine tabbouleh with grilled sausages and natural yoghurt. This recipe serves 4.
- 8 Clonakilty sausages
- 100g (4oz) bulgar wheat
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 3 tblsp chopped parsley
- 3 tblsp chopped mint
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 4 tblsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Grill the sausages until cooked.
- To make the tabbouleh, cook the bulgar wheat in boiling water until tender (about 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Place the bulgar wheat in a bowl and add all the other ingredients except the sausages, natural yoghurt and ground cumin. Mix well.
- Add the ground cumin to the natural yoghurt and stir to combine.
- Spoon the tabbouleh onto 4 plates. Top with the grilled sausages and spoon over the natural yoghurt mix.
#4. Sausages with Leek and Black Pudding Potato Cakes
This is a yummy alternative take on the traditional sausages with mash: this recipe for sausages is served with a leek and black pudding potato cake and is a meal you can have ready in half an hour from scratch or even less time if you prep the potatoes in advance.
#5. Sausages with Pasta and Mushrooms
This creamy sausage recipe combines sausages with vegetables, double cream and pasta for a tasty family meal.
- 8 sausages
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and finely sliced
- 1 courgette finely sliced
- 400g/15oz button mushrooms sliced
- 150ml/5fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 150ml/5fl oz double cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- 4 tbsp white wine or sherry
- Oil for frying
- Pasta of your choice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add sliced onions, celery and carrots and fry for approx 5 minutes until onions have softened.
- Remove the skin from the sausages and cut the meat into 4 small portions from each sausage. Add them to the pan and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, wine and cream and mustard.
- Season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Turn the head down and simmer for 15 minutes until the carrots have cooked.
- Cook your pasta and serve together with the sausage mix.
#6. Sausage and Couscous Salad
For a summer sausage recipe, this Sausage and Couscous Salad is super easy and quick to rustle up.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Sausages e.g. 2 sausages per person
- 1-2 cups of couscous
- 100g Sugar snap or snow peas topped and tailed and sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Handful of torn fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Grill or barbecue your sausages. Let cool then slice.
- Place your couscous into a large bowl, boil the kettle and pour over boiling water to just cover the couscous. Put some clingfilm or a plate over the bowl and leave for 5 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Use a fork to fluff up your couscous.
- Add your sausage slices, peas, tomatoes and basil to the couscous and season to taste.
- Make a dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar and olive oil then drizzle over your salad.
For a variation, make your couscous salad a Greek version by adding cherry tomatoes, olives, feta cheese and some oregano.
#7. BLTS The Ultimate Sausage Sandwich
Only one thing beats a BLT and that is a BLTS! The addition of sausage to this traditional sandwich brings it to another level making it the ultimate sausage sandwich perfect for lunch, supper or breakfast!
#8. Sausage and Lentils
This delicious family dinner idea for Sausage and Lentils is adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe and it can also be cooked in advance if you know you’ll be in a rush at dinnertime.
#9. Homemade Sausage Rolls with a Twist
The addition of black and white pudding to the sausage meat in these sausage rolls with a twist will leave everyone asking for more! I find these are handy for after school snacks or lunchboxes as an alternative to sandwiches.
Have you tried any of our sizzling sausage recipes? Please let us know in the comments box below.